Primer Diameter - Help Needed Wolf/Tula

martinakl

I have some Nosler, 300 SAUM brass that came with a used gun I purchased (6.5 SAUM GAP 4S). The brass was just thrown-in for good measure, but it has looser primer pockets. The seller suggested I find some Tula primers, as they have a large diameter. I can't find any in Boise.

Can someone with some Tula or Wolf (supposedly the same primer) measure the diameter of a couple primers for me? Large Rifle or Magnum Larger Rifle.

I've measured (and tried):
Federal 215M @ .2100
Federal 210 @ .2105
CCI Magnum 250 @ .2105
Remington 9 1/2 @ .2100
(Hornady digital calipers)

If someone knows of some other brand of primers that tends to be larger in diameter, let me know.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen that chart and my experience seems to be a little different. Based on that chart, the Federal 215M's should be the large enough to work. The federals I measured are smaller than listed on that chart. Some guys at a local gun/reloading shop agree that the Federal 215m's are small and fit loose, even in once fired brass. I wish the federals were larger. I have a few bricks of those.

For some reason, all the primers i have measure right at .2100-.2105. I also primed the brass with all of the primers. They all had about the same resistance, with the CCI & federal 210's slightly more. I think if I got something is the .211+ range, I'd be good.

Some more research found that CCI #34, mil spec should be larger. Everything I'm finding is anecdotal, vs actuall measurements.

I have some Nosler, 300 SAUM brass that came with a used gun I purchased (6.5 SAUM GAP 4S). The brass was just thrown-in for good measure, but it has looser primer pockets. The seller suggested I find some Tula primers, as they have a large diameter. I can't find any in Boise.

Can someone with some Tula or Wolf (supposedly the same primer) measure the diameter of a couple primers for me? Large Rifle or Magnum Larger Rifle.

I've measured (and tried):
Federal 215M @ .2100
Federal 210 @ .2105
CCI Magnum 250 @ .2105
Remington 9 1/2 @ .2100
(Hornady digital calipers)

If someone knows of some other brand of primers that tends to be larger in diameter, let me know.

My Tula LRM primers Measure .210 with my caliper, with that said they do feel a little tighter while seating than the federals but I wouldn't expect to get a bunch of additional firings. My experience with this cartridge tells me when the pockets are too loose for Fed primers it's time to toss them.

I am in Meridian and I have some tula primers if you want to try them.
I also have 50 pieces of new norma brass that I prepped and is ready to load, and I have about 90 pieces of the new Hornady 6.5 Gap brass.

Just PM me if interested, Gary

Thank you for taking a measurement of the Tula primers.

I was hoping to just get a few loaded for site-in purposes and to scratch the itch of shooting the rifle. I have new Hornady brass but it needs the necks turned. First time getting into that much brass prep. I haven't bought the neck turning equipment yet. Looking at the K&M setup. I've been holding out for some sort of Christmas sale or coupon @ midway.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.