preventing run-out

nddodd

Hey guys got a question for yall what is the best way to prevent bullet runout. IF it matters, i am curious becouse i am getting a 338 edge and ive heard that problem is kinda common. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

I use redding "S" bushing type competition dies. And good brass really helps too. But I think with the 300 Rum brass, there will be a limited choice. Someone that has necked it up before will be more help on that.

Jeff

Once you get your neck runout under control,seat you bullet a little bit at a time.I will seat the bullet aprox. 1/4 of the way,turn the case 1/4 turn,seat a little further,give the case another 1/4 turn,do this until the bullet is fully seated.This method cut my bullet runout in half.

You will have to expand the neck up to 338. So run it over a 338 mandrel then run it into a type S bushing die. If not using a bushing die, expand with the expander ball then run the case back through with the expander ball and decapping rod removed. I did this with 7 RM brass and runnout went from .006- .007 to .000-. 002.

On the seating and turning method, experiment with it. With my 7 RM I got less runout than sizing and turning. With a 308 turning worked better.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.