preventing run-out

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by nddodd, Feb 4, 2009.

1. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Hey guys got a question for yall what is the best way to prevent bullet runout. IF it matters, i am curious becouse i am getting a 338 edge and ive heard that problem is kinda common. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nathan

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I use redding "S" bushing type competition dies. And good brass really helps too. But I think with the 300 Rum brass, there will be a limited choice. Someone that has necked it up before will be more help on that.

Jeff

3. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

this subject has been covered abundantly and with good info. Try a search.

4. KQguy

KQguy Well-Known Member

Once you get your neck runout under control,seat you bullet a little bit at a time.I will seat the bullet aprox. 1/4 of the way,turn the case 1/4 turn,seat a little further,give the case another 1/4 turn,do this until the bullet is fully seated.This method cut my bullet runout in half.

5. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Thanks KQguy and everyone else as well i appreciate it

Nathan

6. 260shooter

260shooter Well-Known Member

You will have to expand the neck up to 338. So run it over a 338 mandrel then run it into a type S bushing die. If not using a bushing die, expand with the expander ball then run the case back through with the expander ball and decapping rod removed. I did this with 7 RM brass and runnout went from .006- .007 to .000-. 002.

On the seating and turning method, experiment with it. With my 7 RM I got less runout than sizing and turning. With a 308 turning worked better.