pressure signs at 1 grain over books starting load

Had the same rifle. Hornady brass is hit and miss and will jam. Get some Lapua and your chamber problems will be a thing of the past. As for pressure you dont mentioned your COAL (Load to book lenght if not) My rifle really like Retumbo. H1000 never gave me the accuracy. I used Lapua brass, 300 SMK, and WLRM primers.

I had a similiar experience with my Savage FCP. Much better results with Retumbo using either 300gr Bergers or Sierras, Lapua brass, I load .025" off the lands.

Ridges on the outside edge of the primers dimple are most likely not a sign of over pressure but a sign of a bad fit between the firing pin and its corresponding hole in the bolt face or a sign of a week firing pin spring. Latest edition hornady reloading manual.

Just a thought FL sizing could be creating excessive head space. Causing the primer to ever so slightly come out then get force back in during recoil. There is a technical term but I don't know what it is. Also measure the head of factory brass and then of 1 fired up to .007 is expectable stretch for a belt mag not sure for the lapua more than is another way showing excessive pressure I hope this makes since. I m not a technical speaker.

Check your COAL. I think you are running the bullet up against the lands. That can cause a pressure spike if you do not give the bullet a little room to jump onto the lands. You want to minimize that jump for accuracy, but you want to have the bullet seated just off the lands. It will be different for every bullet/cartridge combo. I then back off 0.10" to get my seating depth. If it is difficult to open the bolt after firing, this can be an issue. If the powder measures are within spec and you are using new brass and full-length sized it or fired brass that has only been used once or twice and neck sized it properly, you should not see pressure problems if starting at low end of powder.

Hope that helps!

ok so let me say i am very new to reloading. I am shooting a savage 111 LRH in the 338 lapua. i started putting some loads together and the book (Modern Reloading, 2nd addition richard lee) says to start at 83 grains. i am using H1000, Lapua brass and lapua scenar 300 gr and cci MLR primers #250. i shot a 3 round group with 84 grains. 1 of the primers flattened and all three show slight ejector circles. is this normal? should i try my load ladder below what the book recommends since i am getting pressure signs early? Also i tried FL resizing some brass that where making my bolt stick(also showed signs of OP), no improvement, any suggestions? i am using a RCBS FL die. am i going to have to shell out for a more expensive die? anyways any help would be great. thanks

I have found that it's best to forget the minimum and maximum book loads. Both are potentially dangerous. Look at several sources and pick the MIDDLE LOAD that is between the highest low load and the lowest high load. Start in the middle and work in the direction you want to go, which for me is usually the hottest accurate load that is not overpressure.

Many load books do not list the primer, case, barrel length and several other things that are important to how their listed load performed.

In the latest lawyer load manuals, I have had higher pressures at minimum load than maximum load. I generally never fire a load that comes up much below the shoulder of a bottleneck cartridge.

The safest loads are with powders that require you to fill up the case. A filled or slightly compressed load controls ignition much better than a loose load.

ok so let me say i am very new to reloading. I am shooting a savage 111 LRH in the 338 lapua. i started putting some loads together and the book (Modern Reloading, 2nd addition richard lee) says to start at 83 grains. i am using H1000, Lapua brass and lapua scenar 300 gr and cci MLR primers #250. i shot a 3 round group with 84 grains. 1 of the primers flattened and all three show slight ejector circles. is this normal? should i try my load ladder below what the book recommends since i am getting pressure signs early? Also i tried FL resizing some brass that where making my bolt stick(also showed signs of OP), no improvement, any suggestions? i am using a RCBS FL die. am i going to have to shell out for a more expensive die? anyways any help would be great. thanks

There seems to be an affliction with 300 grain bullets. Your rifle really can't stabilize a 300 grain pill in the first place. Drop to 250's with lapua or Nosler brass. I'm loading 94.5 grains of H1000 with 250's in Lapua, PPI and Nosler with no issues.

The Sierra book on 250 SMK has a maximum load of 100.2/H100 BTW.

Hornady makes good brass, so long as it's not a 338 Caliber brass..........

what kind of velocity are you getting with that load? ( 94.5 grains of H1000 with 250's)
excuse my ignorance but why cant my rifle stabilize the 300 gr? others seem to have found great success with the 300's.

One, the rate of twist isn't sufficient for a 300 grain pill and two, my loads chrono at around 2800 FPS with the 2650 SMK loaded 20 off the lands in Lapua Brass (sometimes PPU) and everyone is crimped with a Lee 338 Collet crimper.

If I load at COAL (3.68 SMK or 3.575 SGK), the FPS don't change appreciably.

I say around because I use my buddy's chrono and it's an old one. Never been a professor of speed. Speed kills, kills rifling.....

Maximum recommended load with a H1000 for the 250 SMK/SGK is 100.1 grains btw.

My feeling is you'll do better with a 250 versus a 300 but it's your dime and rifle, not mine.

The 338 Lapua Magnum is a very touchy caliber to load for as many will attest to on this site (and others).

I found my sweet spot, but it may not be yours.

I'm more concerned with what the pill hits, not how fast it gets there.

There is nothing that a 338 Caliber won't decimate in North America at even the starting loads, so why push it.

You obviously have some issues, what exactly they are, I have no idea because I'm not there. I'd start with good brass and review your loading practices. Something isn't right in your procedures, what that is, I have no idea.

Both Sierra and Berger make a 300 grain pill in .338 caliber. According to their websites, both recommend a minimum 1 in 10 twist. Your savage has a 1 in 9 twist. Your barrel should be able to stabilize the 300 gr. pills with no problem. (see PM).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts