Pressure limit for 7 RM???

remingtonman_25_06

I was doing a bit of load development yesterday with my 7 RM and 160g AB + H1000. I started at 68g and went to 69g then 70g. 68g showed pressure right off the bat and was going 2950fps or so. I went to 69g and same pressure, velocity didn't move to much. Accuracy was 2 in and 1 out for both loads. I didn't test 70g as I packed up and left cuz it was gettin real windy. Anyways I know 3000fps with 160g AB and H1000 is totally doable. According to Hodgons website, They list 70g as Maximum at 2900fps. I noticed the SAAMI pressure limits were around 51,000. As I was looking around at other cartridges, they were between 60-64000. I didn't know the 7 RM couldn't be loaded to higher pressures then that. Am I missing something here?? Could this be sometimes why the 7 RM doesn't get the achieved velocities?

check your incriments.... cup vs psi
Even after that, the older belted magnums are held to lower pressures than the new cartridges... and its perfectly safe, in a modern bolt action, to load to 64000psi. The real limiting factor is the brass, and ar what point it starts streaching.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts