Pressure: Exbal and Kestrel, help

petenz

Where I hunt I can go from 400m ASL to 2500m ASL in a trip, so I am going to make a chart with sighting corrections for different pressure conditions.

I understand that if I set the reference altitude on my Kestrel 2500 to 0m it will give me raw pressure data, or station pressure.

Looking in Exbal, it has fields for 'pressure @ sea level' and 'pressure @ altitude'

Why are there 2 fields?

In case it's not clear, what I want is something that looks like this:

1219916012285.jpg

So that I can look at my Kestrel, see the station pressure, look at the chart and make the appropriate adjustment... ditto for temperature.

Help?

First bear in mind, I am a new user to exbal and what I am about to say may be wrong. :D
But based upon the Long Range Hunting video this is what I did. I make a table with a fixed altitude or presure and vary the trajectory angle in 5 deg increments skipping 5 degrees.
I am no0t sure if you have a pocket PC or a palm pilot, but I use the kestrel info on the target engagement window and punch that data in there.
Hopefully you have that video, it is worth every cent.
Hopefully one of the more experienced users will chim in.
EDIT:
Go here and read this link by Shawn - Looks like I gave you conflicting info:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/dialing-your-kestrel-34817/

Good Luck,

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't have a pocket PC - I much prefer a laminated paper chart.

Basically, what I want to do is this: Enter a pressure that is different from the standard 1013hPa (29.53Hg) into Exbal, see what the difference in come-up is, and record that on my chart, so that at any altitude or pressure condition, I can take station pressure from my Kestrel, compare to the chart and make the correction for, hopefully, a first round hit.

The issue I have come across is that I am not entirely certain how the fields in Exbal work and in which of the 2 pressure fields I should enter my hypothetical pressure value.

Last edited:
I understand what you want. The station pressure goes in the pressure at altitude box and uncheck the "calc std pressure" box. This will give you the info you are looking for. Once you have info for a given pressure click the "excell" button at the top and click load spread sheet. Now you can highlight the info you want and copy /paste to build any chart you like.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.