prescription for reloading 300 win mag

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by grandadmorgan, Oct 5, 2002.

1. grandadmorgan

grandadmorgan Active Member

again i request help from you experienced longrangers whom have tried, tested, and succeded in finding the best choices of powders, primers, bullets, & brass for 300 win mag. i do realize that i will most likely need to tailor these to which fires best in my sako but i would like to take advantage of your experiences.
    at this time i have began procurement of my reloading equipment but am also enjoying firing factory loads. now that i'm saving factory loaded brass, is there a preferred factory round such as the nickel winchester ballistic silver tip?
    i'm firing a sako trg-42, with 1-11 twist & a 37" barrel with factory break. i will be using redding competition dies with bushings.
    thanks again in advance for your help.
    morgan

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: grandadmorgan ]

2. speedbump

speedbump Well-Known Member

Start with a 190 Sierra MK. Work up loads with H4831 & IMR4350 to just under max. Ignite with a FC 215M primer & enjoy! [​IMG]

3. grandadmorgan

speedbump,
    thanks for the information, i appreciate all the help i can get

4. moosehunter

moosehunter Well-Known Member

This is a crtridge Ive been loading for years. Get a good seating die and load close to the lands to compensate for the notorious short neck and party on. Stay 180gr. and up. Ive known a number of folks have gone the 165 gr. trip, myself included but this baby dont like that. To finnicky and temp. sensitive. Slow burning powder, H1000 and slower and from then on your rifle will tell you what tit wants.

5. grandadmorgan

moosehunter,
    thanks for the info. i'll try it as soon as i pick up a press.

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

try the F210 before you try the F215 if you use 4831. Most BR shooters are using the 210

7. grandadmorgan

bountyhunter,
    thanks for your imput, i've noted it in my log

8. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

We usually have best accuracy with H-1000 in the Win. mag., also use 4350 for lighter bullets. Very hard to beat the 190 MatchKings in our rifles, just seat them close to the lands - factory ammo is loaded very short to fit into mags. Have improved factory ammo accuracy significantly by partially pulling bullets and reseating them longer.