Preferred Snowshoes for Predator Hunting?

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by jasonprox700, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jasonprox700

jasonprox700 Well-Known Member

I've been looking around for a pair of snowshoes for coyote/fox hunting up here in Wisconsin but there are so many choices. I tried hunting last winter without them in a few feet of snow, and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!!

I am 5' 9", 200lbs (all muscle of course!) and with hunting clothes and gear, I imagine I would be in the 220 to 230lb range. My hunting would take place in a variety of terrain from rolling hills and woods, to low lands and marshes. I'm looking to go with one of the newer styles. I don't really have a budget, so I'm open to anything. I figure if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well pony up and get the best (buy once, cry once).

I've seen a few brands, MSR, Tubb, etc..., but they all look the same to me and I don't really know the quality difference between the brands.

So what brand and model of snowshoes do you guys use or prefer?

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I scarfed up on a pair of those metal army surplus ones and do just fine. Heavy sage brush can be a bit of a prob but for mountains and rolling hills I can keep my feet under me. My max load with pack and rifle is nearly 300 pounds. Made my own things to fit my boots.

3. Magnumitis

Magnumitis Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Red Feather snowshoes that I like a lot. They're the only brand I've ever tried but they work well. The model is Hike; made in the good ol' USA too!

4. Sendero_Man

Sendero_Man <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

I run the Atlas snowshoes...

all the new ones are pretty good... kinda a Ford vs. Chevy thing... lol

5. CastleRocker

CastleRocker Active Member

Same here. Sportsman's Guide had them for $30 with the bindings at Christmas time. Bought some for my whole family. They aren't as light as the new models, but they work. I have a set of MSR Denali's that I take when I go out on my snowmobile. They are compact and lightweight, but don't quite have the flotation that the old military ones do.

6. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I didnt know your legs were long enough for you to be able to walk with snow shoes on:D

7. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

I've used MSRs a lot and I really like them. You can easily modify the surface area to accomodate heavy loads by switching tails, and they are lightweight.

8. rooster740

rooster740 Well-Known Member

Last year I had to go to my traditional wood with rawhide for the fluffy days. I have a pair of MSR red plastic with the extensions that have worked well. I am using mudd boots this year.