Precision Shooting 1-Part 3: Marksmanship: Just The Basics

ADMIN

Administrator
Addressing this subject logically, one of the important fundamentals of setting up on your target and being able to hit it begins with a solid shooting platform. About a decade ago I was with a very good and long time friend, glassing on a hillside. The area had been ranged and the target reference points established. Back then, laser rangefinders were not an option and we did not carry the Swiss made optical range finder; so we used our mil-dot reticles to accomplish the task. One of our target reference points was an intersection of two dirt roads. Figuring the tire tracks were 10 inches wide, we used that as our constant. (.36 yards X 1000 =360; 360 / .4 mils = 900 yards). Then we calculated the cosine number of the angle in which we were holding at to obtain our corrected for gravity distance, (900 yards X .87 = 783 yards). This was our best guestimate, however when the quarry walked into the box, the trigger was pulled and the round hit, but off center and to the left approximately 4 inches. We were lucky to be able to utilize the prone firing position as it provided great stability for the shot.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Shooting 1-Part 3: Marksmanship: Just The Basics, By Ward Brien. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Your cull hunt story with Glen, the new long range hunter was exciting and made me wish I could have participated. I have a gripe with your story: a respectful one to be sure; but a gripe none the less.
I am fairly wet behind the ears with LRH, but when I started out I was made to understand that I was to be proficient with my shooting under a variety of conditions: with many shots on demand at inanimate objects before I began to consider shots at game animals.
Since my introduction to LRH, I have seen videos of "experts" handing their rifles to total newbies to have them make shots at game at astronomical ranges. And now I read your article in which you have done the same thing. I am not faulting Glen, but he should have put in allot more time than he did: granted he was under your tutelage which covers a multitude of sins so to speak but I think you did him a disservice. He had too much to learn when he took that very long shot and I fear he will disappoint himself soon if he hunts on his own. Either with unexplainable misses or wounded animals. You gave him no opportunity to grow into the "discipline" of LR shooting.
I invite you to convince me I am wrong (and also forgive my brashness if I am). Consider also that I am envious as H E double hockey sticks that I was not the one shooting with you on that hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.