Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

I own a Rem 700 VLS ,1 in 12 twist and it loves 155 & 178 A-Max bullets,with BL-C2 for 155gr and H-380 178 dont ask me why /with BR-2 primers and Winchester cases.........the 168's don't shoot as well ???
Dave...

looking for load data for the 6.5 284-- shooting currently 52.7 grn rl22, mag match prmr, c.o.l. 3.10, hornady 140grn sst--can't find berger 140 vld in stalk. .5" grps 200yrds. 2" grp @ 500yrds, 3025 fpsgun)

TWO QUESTIONS

Please keep in mind Im a new Long range shooter so Im ignorant.

#1 I'm shooting 308 with at least 1000rds through the tube. Should I change the barrel before I try to start working on loads with the long range stuff so that I'm starting everything from scratch?

#2 with a standard Remington 700 short action chambered in 308 can I rebarrel in say 7mm WSM??? or do I have to get a thicker action?

Thanks in advance.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep, By Tres MonCeret. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Tres,

Thanks for your article. It is very informative. I do have a question about the Sinclair bullet comparators that you show in your picture. I just bought the Sinclair case bump guage and also the bullet insert. It appears that you used a second bullet insert guage and body to do this task?. If so, how does the second bullet insert fit the end of the bullet since it is flat? Hope this doesn't sound confusing!!! Thanks

I have recently been getting more serious about my reloading techniques. Your write up has really sparked my interest and now I have a few questions. First after you prep and sort your brass and bullets do you just use the two largest groups of the two lots and put them together and get rid of the rest? Or am I missing something? I was reading some other articles and heard somewhere that benchrest shooters sort and prep and take the heaviest bullets and match them with the lightest pieces of brass, and the lightest bullets with the heaviest pieces of brass. I'm trying to figure out the logic behind this and weather or not this will work, and find out what you personally do.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Tres. I also use the Sinclair inserts I found them to be considerably more accurate than the Hornady/Stoney point inserts.

Did you find it necessary to sand the new units to remove sharp edges or did you leave them alone? Do you find it necessary to mark the inserts front and back.

Shoot straight

Bob

Wow this is an old thread (2010) yet the Chapter 2 of this article just appeared in my mail box(?)

My reloading and shooting mentor who has been LR shooting and reloading for 40+ years occasionally shoots 168grn .308 projectiles at 1000yds. I was in the pits scoring his target. Round holes, no tumble but also no supersonic crack.

Also, Sinclair states in the latest (2014?) catalog I have from them that trimming the meplat INCREASES BC by 2%, not decreases. Who's right? I don't know. I've only been doing this (reloading for LR) for 2 years. There is more I don't know than there is I do know. I look at everything about this hobby from an engineering perspective as that is my back ground and history for the last 36 years. Trimming the meplat makes engineering since to me. My mentor says that fad already came and went some years ago and I've yet to do it and see if it makes any difference. Maybe someone else can weigh in here on that subject. Would like to know before I spend $50 to find out.

I can only guess on this one. I strongly suspect the BC is reduced a minuscule amount BUT the deviation in speed should be reduced as well and that is a GOOD thing for extreme shooting.

Trimming the meplat does lower the BC of the bullet, However, by then reforming all meplats you will increase the BC. Perhaps higher than it was with the irregular meplat as it origionally was!!

AND you will have made all the bullets extremely consistent for a much lower velocity differential!

Merlin025

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.