Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

ADMIN

Administrator
So we got our cases prepped and primed in Chapter 1. Now let's look at our bullets.

In our chase for consistency obviously our bullets have to all be IDENTICAL if they are going to launch and fly the same, shot to shot. I have said and will continue to say this a lot: We're chasing consistency, in EVERYTHING.

Before I get going...let me say this: If you ever, might, possibly, once-in-a-life- time shoot past 600 yards and you shoot .308" diameter bullets, do not waste your time, money and barrel life on working up loads with 168 grain bullets! Instead, start with 175's or heavier. If you like, experiment with 155's, but SKIP 168's. Thanks, now I feel better. The 168 grain bullet is to beginner .308 shooters what the 9x19mm Parabellum pistol round is to Hollywood. You'd think it would kill a polar bear instantly if he were to be shot in the paw with it. But it's a cliche; it's lore. It's not the best long range bullet. In fact, it may be the LOWEST on the list!
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep, By Tres MonCeret. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I'm just curious what "your" reason is for not liking 168gr bullets for long range. I have heard many theories but wanted your take.

The problem with them is that they are often notorious for tumbling as their velocity nears or goes transonic & subsonic.

Secondly, there are bullets just a wee bit heavier than the old 168 that are much more aerodynamic, thus carrying velocity & energy and wind bucking ability better, and further down range. They shoot flatter. To me it's like hanging onto antique .22 rimfire "long" loads, when technology has given us the "Long Rifle" load which is better overall, at the same cost of the former.

Happy to help,
TM

Are you certain they are "tumbling" or just coming down at a steep angle due to the trajectory? Is there film footage of a bullet tumbling to substantiate this theory?
Just curious because I shoot 168's to 1k all the time on steel targets. I also shoot M118SB and M118LR at those same distances and other than adjusting elevation there is really no differences.

No getting bullet profile shaped holes on paper pretty much screams tumbling.
Watch the trace through a good spotting scope with those different bullets you mentioned. One will create considerably more distortion..

But like I always say, If your happy I'm happy! Stay at it.
Tres

I am anxiously waiting for Chapter Three: Where's My Riflings And Where Should I Put Them? Is it coming out anytime soon?

Thanks, great read!

Tresmon,

Very good read and I too am waiting for the upcoming 3rd Chapter. I have taught my son-in-law to shoot and hand load in the last year. He case preps by your instructions. 2 weeks ago he was at the range and fired a 0.153" group (only 3 so I guess it don't count) with his essentially stock 10FP, 308 Win, 175 SMK, Varget,Rem, CCI BR2---at 200 yds.

This puts me in a serious predicament. All my life I have had to live with the fact that my brother can out shoot me - TS. Then my son came along and he can - oh well. But now my son-in-law???? And I am not a bad shot! They have run off all of my friends, because the boys are all anal about reloading techniques. When they learn about bullet prep I don't know what they will do. And I can tell you for sure that not one of them is willing to take even a single shortcut - period.

Well, please hurry with the next installment because having consistant groups at 0.25 min means that there is more to find to improve consistancy. And if its too meticulous for some then they don't have to do it.

unvisable, cure for predicament...don't tell them about bullet prep or third chapter:D. Only kidding.

Nice write up-you just caused me to add another gadget to the reloading table (a metplat trimmer), my wife thanks you, my credit card company thanks you, and my hunting buddy who borrows my reloading stuff thanks you. LOL:D.

So how important is it to buy several boxes of bullets that are the from the same lot? Do you see variances in different lots from respected companies like green, yellow, orange or red? I've been leaning towards the new orange guys HPBT's along with the red guys with their ballistic tips.

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts