Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonCeret

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

Does anyone know the part number or where I can
find. A plug to check chamber length like the one shown on the last page of this article

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

I use the hornady LnL modified case OAL gage and comparator, which is basically the same thing using the actual bullet to be used. A bit more gadgety though I could see the benefit of using the little insert shown in the article but I'm all set up now with this other system.

I use the hornady LnL modified case OAL gage and comparator, which is basically the same thing using the actual bullet to be used. A bit more gadgety though I could see the benefit of using the little insert shown in the article but I'm all set up now with this other system.

I'm thinking you may be confusing the plug used for purposes of establishing the maximum allowable cartridge case length prior to the neck bottoming out on the rifle chamber and pinching against the seated bullet, with establishing the bullet seating depth where the bullet touches the rifling? Two different reference points of measurement. One for trimming cartidge case length. The other for determining bullet seating depths that correspond to the contact with the rifling.

That's the best I can make of your post, compared to the subject matter within 1luckeyt/a's post.

Excellent article! keep the much needed info coming.

Does anyone know the part number or where I can
find. A plug to check chamber length like the one shown on the last page of this article

I would like an answer to the same Question where I can
find. A plug to check BRASS chamber length like the one shown on the last page of this article????????? I need 7mm plug.

THANKS ODAVID

Quick question, Isn't the only way to truely get your bullet centered to the barrel is by turning the necks so the wall thickness is consistant all the way around the neck?

Great article . can't wait for the next chapter:)

BigBuck

not sure your reply was meant for me, I was asking about neck turning

Scott,

In a snug neck or tight neck bench rifle, Yes, you must have the neck turned for everything to be on centerline.

However with a more typical chamber in a field rifle the case is held on center by the taper of the angled shoulder of the case (if the case is not bumped back to far) instead.
So yes a bullet can be on centerline in the chamber of a rifle even with the neck not turned.

The case with factory loaded ammo and excessivly resized reloaded ammo, the fit between brass casing and the chamber is too loose and the whole round of ammo "falls to the bottom" so the entire loaded round is below centerline.

Tres

Great articles! They cleared up a couple of areas I was gray on. Is it possible to get copies in a pdf format so I can print them for my reference manual? These are keepers!
Thank you for your time, effort, and concise clarification!

I figured out how to cut & paste into a printable document. GREAT READ AGAIN!

Last edited:

Thank you providing all of these excellent recommendations. I really enjoyed reading the article, and I can't wait for the next one.

Great Work!! Thanks again.

Actually- with a factory chamber and most all chambers your brass will be worn out before it gets close to your chambers actual max length dimension. But I'd stay good .020" short...

Tres

Tres, Just to be 100% clear in OACL trimming back from chamber dimension. If I understand your last you are stating "trimming the neck twenty thou short of the measured chamber" like you described previously using you own machined chamber plug. Yes ?

Personally, I do not recall hacking back any brass .020 but I could be wrong and now, I'm going to do some looking to see. However, does the brass have that much potential to grow in length when one does NOT FL size ?

I rarely FL size, contrary to some of the BR guy's stating they do so after each round ??? It's been my understanding (as you've written) to neck size and shoulder bump preserving the "fired case to chamber fit".

Anyhow, I'm no expert and always sucking the brain juice from those before me.

Thanks a ton for all your writings and shared knowledge.

Robgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts