Pre-threaded Vanguard barrels?

specweldtom

Looking for a pre-threaded Howa / Vanguard barrel for a friend. He wants to barrel a Vanguard up in .338 RSM, and I don't want to cut the thread.

Thanks, Tom

The Howa / Vanguard has a metric barrel tenon thread that my lathe won't cut unless I leave the threading lever engaged. I can set the levers and dials for many metric threads, but once started, have to complete the thread without ever disengaging the carriage. I think that any lathe with an inch pattern leadscrew has this limitation.

I don't have the skill and agility to do this under power, so I have to put the spindle in neutral and turn the chuck by hand forward and reverse to avoid a wreck. The leadscrew transmission is in constant mesh with the spindle whether the motor is engaged or not, so in neutral, it saves me from having to turn the motor (and drive belts).

There are craftsmen out there that can do this at powered spindle speeds, but I'm not one of them.

Bottom line, it's a very slow process, and I'm old, fat, and lazy, and don't want to do it unless I have to.

Good question.

Tom

Shouldn't be too hard. I've gotten a threaded Mauser barrel from PacNor. They will finish ream the chamber long so you don't need the reamer to headspace the barrel during installation. Ask them about Howa threads.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.