Pre. 64 win action.

brdhntr

I have a 280 rem, and 30-06 barreled actions. Can they be reamed to 7mm, and .300 Dakota?

If yes, are they adequate for this cartridge, in terms of strength?

If no, any other ideas what I can do with these to turn them into good long range rifles?

The barrels are Obermeyer, and the guns are set up for palma currently.

Thanks in advance.

Yep , that would work though I personaly would choose another case than the Dakota. the 300 win mag would be great ,you could use Lapua bras for about the same cost as the Dakota and it will last longer. and the 280 can be reamed to 7mm-300 win mag and that would actualy be a step op from the Dakota again with better brass.
that action is plenty strong enough and those barrels are perfect.

yes the bolt face would have to be opened up as would the magazine to accept the new fatter case , but its a relitvly easy process

I was looking for something with a bit more than the 300 wm in a 30 cal. The 7mm-300 sounds interesting, but I can't find data on it. Where dose if fall in compared to other sevens.

I would say that the 7-300 win mag would be right around the 7STW range maybe a bit more with the better brass and slightly shorter OAL, definatly a set up from the 7mmRem mag.
The 300 Win mag isin't that big of a step behind the 300 Dakota if any at all , in fact I think that with Lapua brass the 300 win would out run the 300 Dakota

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.