Pre. 64 win action.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by brdhntr, Mar 5, 2008.

1. brdhntr

brdhntr Member

I have a 280 rem, and 30-06 barreled actions. Can they be reamed to 7mm, and .300 Dakota?

If yes, are they adequate for this cartridge, in terms of strength?

If no, any other ideas what I can do with these to turn them into good long range rifles?

The barrels are Obermeyer, and the guns are set up for palma currently.

Thanks in advance.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Yep , that would work though I personaly would choose another case than the Dakota. the 300 win mag would be great ,you could use Lapua bras for about the same cost as the Dakota and it will last longer. and the 280 can be reamed to 7mm-300 win mag and that would actualy be a step op from the Dakota again with better brass.
    that action is plenty strong enough and those barrels are perfect.

3. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

bolt faces?

wouldnt the bolt faces have to be opened up to accept the magnum brass?

4. James Jones

yes the bolt face would have to be opened up as would the magazine to accept the new fatter case , but its a relitvly easy process

5. brdhntr

brdhntr Member

I was looking for something with a bit more than the 300 wm in a 30 cal. The 7mm-300 sounds interesting, but I can't find data on it. Where dose if fall in compared to other sevens.

6. James Jones

I would say that the 7-300 win mag would be right around the 7STW range maybe a bit more with the better brass and slightly shorter OAL, definatly a set up from the 7mmRem mag.
    The 300 Win mag isin't that big of a step behind the 300 Dakota if any at all , in fact I think that with Lapua brass the 300 win would out run the 300 Dakota