Prarie dogs in the panhandle....

abinok

I relearned a valueable lesson recently: when its windy, shooting at LR is tough. When its really, really windy, its really really tough!

My buddy Todd and I ran up to the edge of the panhandle for a few days of prarie dog shooting. I packed a BUNCH of gear planning on trying to extend my furthest dog yet. Didn't happen. In fact, bothe the 300WM and the 7mm never saw the light of day!
What did happen was we had a great time, and did some good scouting for the spring trip. Todd brought along a short barrel M4 to play with, and his Knight SR25MK11 for the more serious work. The M4 went both days without a kill, but several narrow misses out to 200yds or so. The SR made one kill between 350yds and 400yds, but dogs got to the body faster than we did.
On the second day Todd used my 243AI to wack a dog at 427yds (his longest 1shot kill). Pretty impressive considering we had sustained winds over 30mph, with gusts over 45!

todd243aipdog.jpg

And I managed a bit better that morning with one kill at 460.
me243aipdog.jpg

As you can see, the 95gr Berger is a bad bullet to catch.
field1.jpg

The terrain is low rolling hills and shots out to 700 are possible here without any difficulty.

The wind finially started to slack off on the evening of the second day, and I got to streach the legs on the 243. Late in the evening I killed one at 962yds, but due to failing light, and time crunch, we decided to skip the photos and pack up.
Heres the second location, more of an open valley, shots out to 1300 or so avalable here on this landowners property. Max ranges visible are probably 3 miles or so. The horizon at the right edge is actually in Texas... so im wondering if I need another nonresident lisence for those dogs... gotta ask my game wardon about that.
field2.jpg

My portable benchrest passed the test with flying colors... this was its first outing away from the house. It was designed to fit in the trunk of the car, swivel, and be rock solid. Assembly takes about 5 minutes. While you can't see it in these pics, there is a fixture built into the back of the rest to allow me to change barrels in the field. That was the plan, but with the wind blowing how it was, I didn't think it was worth the extra recoil to swap them.
bench.jpg

All in all a fun trip, despite the brutal wind. Spring won't come fast enough!

Abinok , I really appreciated those pictures . They brought back fond memories of a Pdog hunt near Lubbock , Texas maybe 10 years ago . I had just got over a bad bout of Arthritis and booked with Texas Prarie Dog Safaris . Larry Pate ran it at that time and was a great guy to deal with . As I could not walk very well , he arranged everything and all I had to do was shoot and clean . I was using a Ruger 220 Swift and an old Model 70 in 257 Roberts . With the light wind at my back , I made 2 kills with 2 shots at 635 Yards with the Swift and probably could not do that ever again . Larry paced off those shots using a Surveyors Wheel . I also got a Pdog at 942 Yards , but I won't say how many shots that took . Let's just say the Swift bullets were moving feet in every direction at that range . I'm smarter now , and will be using 142 Grain 6.5s for long Range shots hopefully next year ! I hunted in September or October , and the weather was just perfect . However , as you say , when the wind blows .... it really blows . I can remember one day when even 300 Yard shots were difficult . I can remember the Hawks and even a big Bull Snake which gorged themselves on the Pdogs I had just shot . So thanks again for jogging my memory .....reminds me to pull out the old VHS Tape I made of that hunt !

[ QUOTE ]
I relearned a valueable lesson recently: when its windy, shooting at LR is tough. When its really, really windy, its really really tough

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam, you summed up our experience in Wyoming with that sentence . Looks like you have found us a new Pding place , got any leads on accomodations yet?

That bench you built looks to be super stable , it also looks to be a smidge( read 4 hundred and seventeen lbs ) lighter than the " Battlestar Moronica" I built /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Why the 95 Berger as opposed to the 115 version ?

Well, gotta go grill some antelope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif dang that stuff is delicious!

Jim B.

Glad you enjoyed it! I just wish Ihad shot some video... I had the camera along, but not my brain apparently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

redbone,
The scope is a 6-25x56 millet buck gold. mildot reticle, 30mm tube, with the traditional AO. Good scope.

Jimm,
Accomidations are taken care of for trips for the forseeable future.
Not sure what the bench weighs... im guessing 30-40lbs... may be off by a bit. Im not sure this is the final design im going to stick with, but im getting close. This is the MK3 version.
I went with the 95gr berger because of the balance I can get with wind deflection and trajectory. At moderate velocities I can essentially duplicate the wind drift of my favored 300WM load out to 1000yds with a much flatter trajectory. This was intended to be a point and shoot type of gun out to mpbr, and a dial and shoot gun out to 1k...1100 or so. In this role, and with those parameters in mind, the 95gr is a better choice than the 115... mainly because of the trajectory. Its kinda the same reasoning behind most guys choosing the 190SMK over the 220SMK for their 300WMs. Bit more wind drift, much flatter flying. Further, theres also been a bit of an issue about quality controll on the 115s recently. It may eventually be a good choice for a bit further... but ive got a 6.5mm in mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im glad you stepped away from the grill to post... and you suck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
As per your project, very cool! I don't have time to return your email at the moment, but the pic looks very promising. Wen I get back from STL in a day or so, ill try and shoot you another email about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.