Prarie dog recon

backyardsniper

I am sure questions like this are posted all the time and i hate to be that guy, but this will be my first rodeo with the prarie dog so i don't want to spend the time and money to go and not get my moneys worth. I know some people say it is stupid to pay to prarie dog hunt but I live in KY and I don't have time to drive 14 hours to ask people if i can hunt on thier place or try to find dogs on my own. The trip will be most likely me and my Dad. I am a fairly experienced long range shooter. Did a bit of shooting in Iraq if you know what I MEAN. My Dad is an experienced shooter as well not so much long range and i really think he just wants to go to see the country and enjoy the scenary Im sure he will do some shooting but not too the extent i plan too. I would rather kill 100 dogs out past 500 than to kill 500 at 100. I am not as concerned about the #of kills as much as I am the quality of the kills and the challenge.

I am looking at a place called Rebel Ridge Outfitters it is in Syracuse KS, Anyone with some info on this particular place I would greatly appreciate somem input. Also any info on the best region. Other outfitters what states are best. I will be driving from KY so the border at syracuseKS and holly CO is about 14.5 hours I would like to keep it around that or less. I( have heard that Texas was good. I will prob be looking at a mid summer trip. 1 day driving 2 or 3 days shooting 1 day driving back. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated

thanks

I went prairie dog hunting in Syracuse last summer. Plenty of Dog's to shoot and really no need to pay to go do it. Call around some diners, the motel (I believe there was only one, and if you tell them you are interested in staying but...) or the local agricultural coop/extension office and ask for local farming with Prairie Dog problems. The situation out there right now is that there are so many PDs they just poison entire colonies of them and they return within 2 years anyway to take over abandoned colonies.

I've still got the name and number of the guy that let us shoot on his land. "16,000 acres and all the prairie dogs you can shoot" were his words, he even gave us a in truck tour of where the largest colonies were. Hell I even have GPS coordinates of prime shooting spots on his land. Not very interested in giving them away though, you've got to be willing to do some of the work yourself and that's part of the challenge right :rolleyes:. Really though it's not that hard, your in the right area just call around. I for sure will be returning next summer.

Just out of curiosity how much are they charging for a days guided PD hunt?

-B&C

Roughly 125 a day if you stay in a hotel about 200 a day with lodging and meals. Like I said I am a complete novice at this so I am just looking to learn and have a good first shoot. However Free is a hell of a lot better than 125 a day. If I can get away with just the cost of a hotel that would be great. I would appreciate any help you can give me

Just call around like I said, it was the first time that we went as well. 22-250, 204 and lots of Kentucky windage but that had little to no bearing on finding plenty prairie dogs. We stayed at the Syracuse in, it was $65 for a 2 queen room I believe, I wouldn't call it up to date and in prime condition but it was clean enough from what we could tell, and while eating at the diner that is right next door we had another guy approach us and tell us if we ran out of dog to give him a call. We declined since we spent a good 5 hours taking shots at roughly 200-400 yards (point being PDs are apparently stupid) only pausing to let the barrels cool.

You can start with the Syracuse inn (620) 384-7411. Tell them you are interested in a room if you can find someone that would let you shoot PDs in the area, and you were wondering if they had any suggestions on who to contact.

Or you can google map agriculture, coop, extension office, etc in the syracuse area. Call cattle farms or associated businesses.

-B&C

I wish there where some where the blue shows them in west texas But i haven't seen any around marfa, fort davis, are van horn TX it would be nice to have some to shoot. I have 180,000ac out there with out the first P dog sure would be nice to have some to shoot.

Looking to bring thus thread back to life. I am debating between this and a wolf hunt for my annual hunting trip this year. Also what is the best time to go around april/ may. Thanks guys

I went prairie dog hunting in Syracuse last summer. Plenty of Dog's to shoot and really no need to pay to go do it. Call around some diners, the motel (I believe there was only one, and if you tell them you are interested in staying but...) or the local agricultural coop/extension office and ask for local farming with Prairie Dog problems. The situation out there right now is that there are so many PDs they just poison entire colonies of them and they return within 2 years anyway to take over abandoned colonies.

I've still got the name and number of the guy that let us shoot on his land. "16,000 acres and all the prairie dogs you can shoot" were his words, he even gave us a in truck tour of where the largest colonies were. Hell I even have GPS coordinates of prime shooting spots on his land. Not very interested in giving them away though, you've got to be willing to do some of the work yourself and that's part of the challenge right :rolleyes:. Really though it's not that hard, your in the right area just call around. I for sure will be returning next summer.

Just out of curiosity how much are they charging for a days guided PD hunt?

-B&C
Add farm/ranch mom and pop feed stores to that list.

I wish there where some where the blue shows them in west texas But i haven't seen any around marfa, fort davis, are van horn TX it would be nice to have some to shoot. I have 180,000ac out there with out the first P dog sure would be nice to have some to shoot.
Lubbock area is literally overrun with them. Some out around Dickens and Crosbyton as well as over around Muleshoe out i the Sand Hills.

Ok looks like Lubbock it is. I think I'm gonna go with Larry Gene Pate of with texas prairie dog safaris. Does anyone here have any info on this operation. He seemed like a real straight up guy but I can't find any reviews anywhere about his operation

Hey we hunted at rebal ridge last yr. we did a 3 day hunt and had a blast. He gives u a book w maps of different properties u can go to. some of the directions are a lit vague, but we didn't have to much problems finding where we were goin. when we do it again were goin stay in the motel in town. Its brand new and nice and u get a free breakfast. We saw plenty of dogs, all day long. Shots ranged from 50 yds to over 1200 yds. All and all we didn't have any complaints and would use him again

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts