Prairie dogs in high Wind

[ QUOTE ]
ok my question might sound dumb, but whats the brown tube on a tripod?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe its a Wild optical range finder....good to way longer than LRF.

I tryed shooting some p dogs in high winds 30 to 40mph with gusts above 50. Just when you thought that you had the windage down a gust would come along and blow the the shot 5 to 6 feet away from where you thought or all of sudden it would drop and you hit right where you were aiming 6 feet way from the target.

Didn't make lots of hits that day but it was a good learning time. Nothing like real time training to improve your skill.

This is a little off the subject, but when you aim for prairie dogs, do you aim center mass, for the head, or aim low? It's a pretty small target so it might not make much difference but I was just wondering where you all aim.

Knappy:
Depends on how high you want to send them..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Somewhat depends on shot setup ie. distance to target for example, on where I place my crosshairs. I don't always move turrets from shots in that 0-350 yds, just move crosshairs up or down, l to r (depends on wind). I find myself liking to aim in the lower 1/3 of their body. Ok, its for why I go shoot them. To send them up, up and away.
It would also depend on whether I am waiting for two dogs to line up on a mound waiting for that double. Will usually then take a chest/shoulder shot. When they are on all fours I am looking for the head half to shoot, center mass. Hope this helps.
1kstr

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.