Prairie dog hunting in South Dakota

sucho

Myself and 4 other shooters from Michigan want to go to SD the 2nd week of June for a prairie dog rendezvous. This will be our first time so we need all the information and help anyone is willing to spare. We are all accomplished hunters and sportsmen with the utmost respect for the land and animals. Does anyone know if you can acquire permission from any of the reservations or if any of the ranchers or farmers could use any help convincing the little varmints that it time to meet their maker.
Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Sucho. gun)

Where in Michigan are you from>>>

I am in Va and have 3 friends in Michigan that want to go to Dakotas to P-dog hunt>>>

I grew up in Michigan Greenville area.

I live in Belmont and my business is in Rockford so I know your area very well.
I have lived in this area all my life.
I buy all my trucks from Tinney Automotive in Greenville.
Small world.
Do your friends know of any places in SD to hunt those little varmint ?

Small it is. Gib Tinney and his wife got married in Va at our church LOL. And my friends sister dated gib for several years.

I'll get the list from my friend toady they called several outfitters, its pricey but unless you know a local rancher you've got to pay.

I have a customer (I own an auto garage) that lives in Medora SD, he supposed to get back to his neighbor owns a large cattle outfit as well as his uncle. He's not sure of the availability but said he'd let me know.

I'll let you know what I find.

There is an E-Book called the "ultimate Prairie Dog hunting E-Book" that I highly reccommend for first timers and those wanting to expand their hunting options. It is written by a guy named Brandon Maddox. He is a serious prairie Dog Hunter, lives in SD and hunts the entire state. The guide tells you where, licenses, hotels, gear, techniques, discusses weapons, the whole package and is very reasonable cost. Even provides you with addresses, websites, phone, guides, DNR, maps, and personal experiences at all the sites.

Terriffic starting point. I know for a fact, I have one.

There is an E-Book called the "ultimate Prairie Dog hunting E-Book" that I highly reccommend for first timers and those wanting to expand their hunting options. It is written by a guy named Brandon Maddox. He is a serious prairie Dog Hunter, lives in SD and hunts the entire state. The guide tells you where, licenses, hotels, gear, techniques, discusses weapons, the whole package and is very reasonable cost. Even provides you with addresses, websites, phone, guides, DNR, maps, and personal experiences at all the sites.

Terriffic starting point. I know for a fact, I have one.

I have tried to find this E-book everywhere and can't find it.
Is this just a website?
Steve

I just moved from southwest Va. to Wy. I too need info on prairie dog hunting. This e-book ???...a phone # or website would be a big help.

Thanks

I can not find the e-book but the best place for me to start was the state of Wyoming weed and pest control office. They have a list of ranchers you can call to get permission to hunt. It's a good start.
Good Luck
Steve

gun) Good luck finding a place this year, lots of areas are booked up. Low rain count has farmers worried about fires too. Just keep networking like you are and hope you can find a place without fee's too......................

WHAT THE HECK I thought this thread was going to be about gearing up to bust some critters. This just sounds like small town gossip.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.