Prairie dog hunt where to go?

RDM416

Hey guys,

A buddy and I are wanting to go on our first prairie dog hunt this summer and we are looking for a place to go. We live in Arkansas so OK or TX would be the shortest drive time, but would consider driving further. We don't mind paying for private land access..... we just want a place we can burn lots of powder!! If you know a spot, you can reply here or shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] Thanks!

I have been looking for the same thing. I'm from Kansas, and they have some in Western Kansas. I call the Wildlife and Parks, and they told me that the numbers were way down. They gave me some phone numbers for private land, but most did not return calls or were too high of price. I went on an antelope hunt cheaper.:D I would call the fish and game department for the areas that may be close to you. Hopefully they can help. Good Luck.

I JUST got back from a prairie dog hunting trip in western Kansas, which is how I wound up here, looking for a better rifle. Anyway the trip wound up going pretty good, although we had to drive around a bit to find a good spot, but once we found it there was no shortage of prairie dogs to shoot in between 250-400 yards. Had longer shots too but weren't even looking for anything past 400. We sat on sort of a Plateau in a valley and shot at the surrounding hillsides from about 8:00am till 1:00pm. We talked to several people about the prairie dog "problem". lately anything you hear about there being no prairie dogs around is because they have been poisoning entire colonies of them. Entire counties can go from infested to dead within weeks, fortunately for use they can become infested with dogs again within another month. The local farmer that was kind enough to drive us around to the dog towns was very informative.

My advice would be to call the motel (there's probably only one) in any given town and tell them you would be interested in staying there if you could find some prairie dogs to shoot. If they can't give you any names then ask if they know of anyplace local you could call and ask or which direction to look in. It only took about an hour to get ahold of a farmer that told us he had "13,000 acres and all the prairie dogs you could shoot"

If you can't find anybody I can give you some more direction but would really prefer to not give out any names and phone number because I will likely be headed back next year with a better rifle :)

B&C

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.