Practice Rig Caliber ???

rb85cj7

I am looking to build a practice rig so I don't shoot out the barrel on my 7mm STW so quickly. I would like it to have similar wind drift at 500 as the stw does at 1000 (somewhere in the 4.5 MOA range). not too worried about drop because that is the easy one to compensate for. I am going to put a half power scope (12x) on this rig to help simulate the longer shot.

Any suggestions on a caliber to go with? obviously I would like excellent barrel life and light recoil.

For more info:
Remington 700 in 7mm STW with a 24" barrel and a jewell trigger.

Given your requirements, I'd choose the 308 with a flat based (cheap) bullet, or a 7mm-08 with a flat base bullet.

The 7mm-08 with a 154gr Hornady flat base when pushed at around 2700fps, meets your requirement pretty well. I've had very good accuracy from the Hornady spire point and they are some of the cheapest bullets I've found that are so accurate. I've also taken dozens of deer with them and had zero bullet failures.

I've always liked the 7mm-08 and would likely be my choice given your criteria.

AJ

I will second what AJ stated.

The only thing he and I will dissagree on here is the calibers. :D

Sorry AJ!

Everybody has their favoraites and for different reasons. I like 308's simply because I have always got along with them extremely well. With the vast variety of bullets available, long barrel life, ease of tuning, they just make sense for a practice round and can double up as a hunting rifle as well.

So can the 708. Since you will be having a 7STW on the shelf and lots of 7mm bullets hanging around, the 708 may be the ticket for you.

If you want to "play" with another caliber, then the 308 is an outstanding choice. You wont go wrong with either.

I will also second AJ about the hornaday spire points. I have had awesome accuracy in my 243, 308, 300 RUM, and my cousins 7mm Rem mag. Much cheaper too.

Michael,

We agree completely. I recommended the 7mm-08 over the 308 for the simple reason that he is already shooting the 7mm, and probably has some 'left over' bullets that he can burn. The 308 is a great round for his needs and will indeed have a little better barrel life. Either cartridge will meet his requirements.

AJ

I am kind of leaning toward a .308 because of the variety of options in factory rifles. I have a buddy that I shoot with that just bought the SPS tactical and it is a cool little gun. I say little because of the 20" barrel. Plus I reload for him so I have all the components already (dies, primers, powder....) for the .308 and wouldn't have to buy them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.