• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Powders for 308

trebark

I'm going to start reloading for my 308. The particular load I'm going to develop will be for 1k target shooting with the 175grain SMK.

Given that part of long range accuracy is a small standard deviation in velocities, I'm hoping you will chime in with powders they have used for the 308 that have regularly produced a small standard deviation.

Further, I'm hoping you will share with me the type of primer and range of powder charge you have used to achieve a small standard deviation.

Thank you for your help.

In the .308, hodgdon VARGET rules the roost. It will be hard to beat with anyload in the 155, 175, or 190. My 155 load consists of a Fed M215, 46.5 gr. Varget in a Win. Case. and a Berger 155.5 Fullbore bullet. Leaves my 30" 3 groove @ 3010fps. ES is around 8-10 over 5 shots. Don't be scared to try Magnum primers. The ES is lower in my loads.

Good Luck,

VV540 works well with the heavy bullets like 175 SMK. 180 SMK in my 308 26" match gun will not make it to 1,000 yards.

Last edited:
w-748,Varget,IMR-4895 and RL-15 are all top shelf powders for the 308 winchester that wont go wrong.................

1. IMR 4064 ( all around best for bolt and gas guns)

2. Varget best for bolt guns with lowest ES

3. RL15 Choice of M118LR Sniper round using 175gr HPBT

4. W748Temp sensitive but can LOAD HOT for extra velocity at long distances

But don't be stupid. accuracy over all else.

Denwa:
Thank you for your input. It seems to me that I'm not being stupid...of course any load would be accuracy tested. Part of that testing would have to include an evaluation of velocities and the standard deviation of velocities for a given load. This is important because a load that has a large standard deviation would be inaccurate at long range in terms of elevation.

I meant don't get so focused on SD's ES's and FPS's. If you are focused on the little things don't forget that accuracy is most important despite what all the figures say.

Our brothers serving this evening don't have hand loaded perfect ammo. That M118LR is not the best ES ammo out there Yet they have made some VERY impressive shots with it at 1000yds+ Also Fed Gold Medal Match isn't better than Black Hills in ES but it seems to shoots better for a lot of folks and is considered the "Gold Standard" for accuracy.

BTW Where do you shoot near Falls Church? I'm on MoCo Maryland.

DENWA:
Thanks for the wisdom. I'll do my best not to get lost in the minutae.

In terms of shooting in the area, I have three places that I frequent....

Clark Brothers Guns in Warrenton: Clark Brothers Guns | Warrenton, Virginia, gun dealer, dealers, ffa, ammo, antique, rare, handguns, shooting range The range is only 100 yards and you have to buy your ammo or reloading supplies from the gun shop. It's how they keep the range "free"

Sleepy Creek WMA in West Virginia: West Virginia DNR - Shooting Ranges This range has a 200 yard maximum.

And for the 1k shooting....Quantico MCB