powders for 300 WSM

flyin lizard

Hello gang I just picked up a 300 wsm and would like some ideas on powders to try. I used to have a 30-06 and if memory serves me right IMR 4350 was a good performer. I will be using 165 to 180 gr bullets and deer will be the main target and maybe an unlucky Catskills N Y bear..
Thanks Paul

I have reloaded the 300 WSM since 2002 and I have found that a number of powders work well with 165-180 gain bullets. My favorite powders are N550, RL-19, and IRM-4831 in that order. IMR-4350 will also work. If you want me to be more specific let me know.

this is what works for my eclipse in 300wsm 69 grains rl-22 cci mag primer win cases nosler 180 gr partition = .375 group @ 100 yards . hope this helps you:rolleyes:

Alliant has developed a new powder just for the WSM and WSSM it's called R-17. It's very hard to find but it offers better FPS than do the others.

Also consider H1000, I have good luck with it in my .270WSM. It is not as slow as R22 but slower than the R19. I found a few years back that R19 was a bit inconsistant between lots.

I will have to look up the R17, never heard of it.

Alliant Powder: Reloder 17

Smokeless Short Magnum Rifle

With Reloder 17 reloaders have a powder that meters easy and consistently while providing maximum velocity even in extreme weather.
This consistent performance is what reloaders have come to expect from Alliant Powder - and Reloder 17 doesn't disappoint.
Designed for short magnum case capacity
Similar burn speed to IMR 4350
Meters easily and consistently
Consistent maximum velocity in extreme weather conditions
Reloader17_l.gif

I have had excellent luck with H4831SC in terms of accuracy and pretty decent velocity. I am running these out of a 15" barrel though so I am somewhat inclined to try a little faster powder to try to maintain accuracy and improve the velocity a bit.

I have had great luck with 180 gr AB and 69.0 grs. of Supreme 780. Another great recipe is 70.0 grs of Vit N560 with the same bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.