powder

new shooter

Witch burns faster H 1000 or Retumbo? I will be yousing it in 7mm and 7mm-STW. also what primer do you yous? Thanks for your help. Joe

H1000 burns quicker than Retumbo. In the calibers you mention, may I suggest you consider Ramshot Magnum as well. It is just as temp stable. I use Fed 215 and 215M primers for 90% of my loads. I have Winchester LR and Winchester LRMs on hand as well.

Like was mentioned before, Retumbo is the slower powder. I tried both in my 7mm Remington Magnum with 160 and 175 grain bullets. Retumbo won in both the accuracy and velocity departments. I use Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers. My gun is a Sauer 202 that has a tendancy to walk a bit down and to the right as the barrel gets hot. Since I use it for hunting I developed my load for a cold clean barrel shot since thats the condition of the gun when I go to the field.

Like was mentioned before, Retumbo is the slower powder. I tried both in my 7mm Remington Magnum with 160 and 175 grain bullets. Retumbo won in both the accuracy and velocity departments. I use Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers. My gun is a Sauer 202 that has a tendancy to walk a bit down and to the right as the barrel gets hot. Since I use it for hunting I developed my load for a cold clean barrel shot since thats the condition of the gun when I go to the field.

Thanks for your info. What is your load with Retumbo and velocity ? Thanks Joe

You didn't ask me but my 7mm Rem Mag/168 Berger VLD with Retumbo was 73.0 grains. I don't know what velocity was. Nosler brass and Fed 215M primers. Bullet 10 thousandths off lands.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.