Powder too old?

specweldtom

I have a couple of un-opened cans of Pyrodex RS that are dated, I think, 1988, and 3 unopened cans of Elephant fff black powder dated, I think, 1993. All of them shake freely, and have been kept in dry storage. All are 1 lb cans.

I don't know much about black powder or Pyrodex and am wondering what is a reasonable life for them.

Thanks, Tom

Well I had a full can of the Elephant FFFg that I got in 86 that we shot some of this past new years from my cannon. Don't know if it slowed down any on the velocity of the 45 caliber round balls but it still went boom and was pretty entertaining.

If kept cool, dry and airtight you ought to be just fine. You may have a little degradation over time, but you probably won't be able to notice it out of your smoke pole.

I was given some Goex black powder, that I was told from the late 70's. It shot fine and consistant.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.