Powder Temp Stability Test – 8028XBR, Varget, H4350, RL19, RL26, N560

Good stuff! I've burned up 5 x 8 lb jugs of RL 26 and it is very stable until you get into 90 plus degrees then it takes off. I've had better luck with 8208 but I run it in the 308 with 175 and it's super stable. H4350 was predictable. I've switch over to RL 23 instead of RL 26 I get less VE but its way more stable. Been using RL 16 lately with great results so far through 1 year and 3 6 creed barrels it is the most stable powder I have used

I did some similar testing a couple of years ago but just with extreme condition powders. IMR Enduron, H1000, R23. Hodg had the least variance, Reliant the most, all were less than 100fps difference. But it not fair to compare a non-extreme condition powder to these. My test with other powder included IMR 7828, MRP, Magpro and a few others. MRP was the absolute worst, including 2 shots that did not fully burn all the powder at -15F out of a 300wby 26" barrel.

Tough tests to do when you actually only get one truly cold barrel shot per day (The one that counts at crunch time). In winter weather (below zero temps) you actually can get more than one with better heat transfer to normalize the barrel temp. Temperature fluctuations (tested) also require different shooter clothing and even muscle tone of the shooter. All variables will effect the muzzle velocity for that all important first cold bore shot of the day. We must include how we approach the gun and even the stool height.
That being said I like h4350 as well as h4831 in small cartridges like 6.5 creed, 25-06 and .260s. I shoot and hunt in temps from -20f to 90 above and see spreads of approx 25 to 50fps in those extremes although some are drifting completely out of nodes.

Tough tests to do when you actually only get one truly cold barrel shot per day (The one that counts at crunch time). In winter weather (below zero temps) you actually can get more than one with better heat transfer to normalize the barrel temp. Temperature fluctuations (tested) also require different shooter clothing and even muscle tone of the shooter. All variables will effect the muzzle velocity for that all important first cold bore shot of the day. We must include how we approach the gun and even the stool height.
That being said I like h4350 as well as h4831 in small cartridges like 6.5 creed, 25-06 and .260s. I shoot and hunt in temps from -20f to 90 above and see spreads of approx 25 to 50fps in those extremes although some are drifting completely out of nodes.
unless you leave the cartridge in the chamber for quite a while the barrel temp is secondary to the test to see of the powder is temp sensitive.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.