Powder suggestions 22-243 Win

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Displayed Name, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Displayed Name

Displayed Name Member

Looking for suggestions for 22-243 Win project. It's gonna be a Shilen 28in 1in8twist screwed onto a Savage 12 FV. Won't be here till early fall.

I've got 243 Lapua brass and some 65gr gamekings and 80gr Bergers ready. Primers on hand are Rem 9 1/2 and 9 1/2M as well as CCI mag primers.

Reloader 22 and 25 seem to be popular but am interested in suggestions. Is there a preferred Hodgdon powder? Majority of shooting will be in cold weather for coyotes.

Thanks Ryan

2. dwm

dwm Well-Known Member

I would like to suggest you try Ramshot Hunter as it is a spherical powder with a burn rate in the 4350 range.

It may be easier on your throat than the stick powder alternatives. (I own a Hodgdon hat ... :) )

It is advertised as being temperature stable. I can not comment on that though as I have not tested it.

Something to consider as the 22-243 may be somewhat overbore and may have a short throat life.

3. cinch

cinch Well-Known Member

I run 48gr Rel25 with the 75gr Amax, Lapua brass, and a Fed210M. Retumbo and H1000 are also good ones to try with the heavies.

4. Displayed Name

Displayed Name Member

Thanks for the replies. Should give me a good starting point.

Ryan