Powder question

ramp

I will be hunting deer in utah this fall.
I live in Alabama elev. 1375. Witch powder do you think is less weather sensitive.
Need to work up a load for utah. We will be hunting around 8000 to 9000 ft.
I have Retumbo, H1000, IMR 4350 & 7828, & RE 25.
Also new to reloading do you deburr after every firing or only after trimming.
I have been deburring only after trimming but not sure if this is right.

Thanks

Ramp

Ramp,
What rifle/bullet combination are you shooting ?
I would look at the Hodgdon extreme line, but knowing alittle more detail might help in a powder recomendation.

I believe you are loading for a 7mm RUM (based on your past postings). H1000 is a great powder for that and the Bergers.

Trim your brass, deburr them and shoot. If they stretch a lot, you can trim again. But there is no reason to trim if they haven't grown much, once the neck is trimmed/squared up the first time, just keep an eye on them (measure after you fire/resize them). Basically keep them trimmed back as they grow, every 2-3 firings or so typically. Only debur after trimming.

The temperature is the issue with powder, depending on which season you are hunting, the temperature may or may not be real cold. Work up your loads in the morning when it's cool, keep your ammo in a cool box and stay out of the sun. This will more closely mimic the temperature you will see out in Utah.

AJ

Last edited:
The rifle will be a Remington 700 7mm-Rum.
The bullet will be 160 Accubond or 168 Berger vld.
I've only loaded Retumbo & 160 Accubond to date.
The Retumbo (91.0 gn.) is shooting good but it was about 75 degree when worked up.
Last year the temp. was in mid 20's early morning .
The hunt will be Oct. 17 Thru Oct. 25 central unit Deer.

Thanks

Ramp

You can cool your cartridges in a small cooler with some reusable ice packs and do some chrono testing with them. Your Retumbo load may be perfectly fine, only way to tell is to test them.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.