Powder Pressure differences between Nickel Plated Brass vs Normal Brass

I have used nickel brass in my stainless steel Ruger #1 for the entire life of the rifle so far.

I have had no problem with brass flaking off the cases UNTIL I trimmed them to length.

All of my nickel brass is Winchester with the WW headstamp.

I was feeling productive one night and figured I would prep all my hunting brass for consistency. The resized brass was not over max length but I trimmed the cases anyway. The necks of the cases immediately started to shed nickel in large flakes.

I then called Winchester and was told that trimming nickel plated brass is not recommended due to the flaking and dulling the trimming device.

I bought more nickel brass, about 12 years ago and the brass still hasn't stretched enough to become longer than max length.

One thing I will warn the OP about is with the nickel plating, it is almost impossible to see or check for the ring around the brass near the case head that will warn you about case separation, so be careful about that. Keep track how many times the brass has been reloaded. I suggest retiring the brass at seven or eight reloads.

I always tumble my brass before resizing and inspect them well before resizing, I have had no problems with my dies, I wasn't even aware about the possibility of damaging my dies.

I forgot to add, I can use my max all brass load in my nickel plated brass with no gain or loss in velocity or accuracy.

Last edited:
I have used nickel brass in my stainless steel Ruger #1 for the entire life of the rifle so far.

I have had no problem with brass flaking off the cases UNTIL I trimmed them to length.

All of my nickel brass is Winchester with the WW headstamp.

I was feeling productive one night and figured I would prep all my hunting brass for consistency. The resized brass was not over max length but I trimmed the cases anyway. The necks of the cases immediately started to shed nickel in large flakes.

I then called Winchester and was told that trimming nickel plated brass is not recommended due to the flaking and dulling the trimming device.

I bought more nickel brass, about 12 years ago and the brass still hasn't stretched enough to become longer than max length.

One thing I will warn the OP about is with the nickel plating, it is almost impossible to see or check for the ring around the brass near the case head that will warn you about case separation, so be careful about that. Keep track how many times the brass has been reloaded. I suggest retiring the brass at seven or eight reloads.

I always tumble my brass before resizing and inspect them well before resizing, I have had no problems with my dies, I wasn't even aware about the possibility of damaging my dies.

Thanks for the info mtwarych, glad to hear I don't have to trim them or worry about that. That is always a pain.

Appreciate it

The most likely problem to come up from excessive bolt thrust is damage to the bolt and/or locking lugs. Again, this is something that *might* occur if a lot of rounds were fired at max pressures.

That said, if the bolt lugs had good, even contact in the first place, it's probable that there would be nothing to see. I don't believe it's a dangerous situation unless there was some serious mismatch in how the lugs locked up.

I've looked around trying to find the article regarding bolt thrust with nickle brass in high pressure rifle rounds but found nothing. I read about this many years ago, long before the internet was around.

As to trimming nickle cases, a sharp carbide cutting tool is required and then in and outside deburring, again with a sharp tool, is necessary. I've got nickle cases that have been fired and trimmed many times, although they do tend to crack in the neck area easier than brass. A perfect trim job might require a bit of 0000 steel wool as well.

I used to own an HK91 that not only made it difficult to even find the brass after it was fired but the fluted chamber marks on the necks lead to cracking on the second or third reload! I don't really miss that rifle too much but never did replace it with anything similar, such as an M14 or FAL. Oh well, such is life.
Cheers,
crkckr

From the folks at Forrester, they just replied this morning:

Thanks for contacting us about this, it is certainly not recommended to run nickel plated cases through your reloading equipment not only for the sake of your equipment, but it does not spring back or react to the sizing as well as plain brass cases. Depending on the issue encountered with the die, it would certainly bring warranty into question.

Scott

FORSTER PRODUCTS

Still waiting on Hornady to answer.

Just got an answer from RCBS:

We highly recommend no using nickel cases, as nickel is a coating and it flakes off and embeds in the wall of the dies, and can ruin the internal surface of the die. If you choose to use nickel cases, we recommend cleaning the die after each use. It's a known fact that you will run into issues, eventually. We rarely turn a customer away for warranty, or repair service, except in extreme cases of neglect, where the dies are rusted, or abused. Hope this helps. Thanks for contacting RCBS.

Best Regards,

Dora Paul
RCBS – Weaver -Champion Target
Technical Service
605 Oro Dam Blvd East
Oroville, CA 95965
530 538 2623
800 533 5000

Just got an answer from RCBS:

We highly recommend no using nickel cases, as nickel is a coating and it flakes off and embeds in the wall of the dies, and can ruin the internal surface of the die. If you choose to use nickel cases, we recommend cleaning the die after each use. It's a known fact that you will run into issues, eventually. We rarely turn a customer away for warranty, or repair service, except in extreme cases of neglect, where the dies are rusted, or abused. Hope this helps. Thanks for contacting RCBS.

Best Regards,

Dora Paul
RCBS – Weaver -Champion Target
Technical Service
605 Oro Dam Blvd East
Oroville, CA 95965
530 538 2623
800 533 5000

Thanks again Tex.

As I mentioned before I found out when talking to my brother that one of the 7mm-08 dies we have has gone through thousands of reloads of nickel plated brass, but it also was and still gets cleaned regularly so thats provably why it has lasted over 30 years and hopefully has way more to go.

Thanks again

LVJ76, I have been quite surprised at the response by the various manufacturers. Redding's response was what I really expected from all the manufacturers, but as we are learning they each have their own ideas to a certain degree. Until I begin to see issues, I'm content with the nickel, although I'm trying to move towards all Nosler brass, but that is an expensive route at current pricing. Been learning as I go. Been a fun ride!

I hear you, I never thought there be warranty issues or damage to the dies, but if kept clean apparently nothing bad happens. I also learned that there is no need to trim these cases, so less hassle as well.

I like how the feeding and extraction is smoother with them and they are better for humid and wet weather than normal brass.

I'll try out some loads with the 154gr SST and 162gr SST on my 7mm Rem Mag for this fall hunt

Thanks again for all the help everyone

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.