Powder measure opinions...

are any of the high priced measures accuate enought to rely on for stick powders that would be used in such a cal?

I agree that it doesn't get any better than the ball bearing Harrel. But, I believe the Harrel is made to move about 40 grains of most powders at a time, certainly not nearly twice that amount. So, I don't think it will be as good as you might hope for your large magnum.

Next, understand that ball powders measure easily but NO volume measurment of coarse powders can be consistanty done by ANY volume dispenser with high consistancy, it just ain't physically possible. In fact, for metering coarse powders, Lee's little "Perfect" powder measure may well be the most consistant tool on the market.

I believe a Redding measure, or Homady's copy of it, or the RCBS measure with a micrometer chamber will do as good across the board as most of us need.

+1 on being the 338 LM very likely being over-capacity for the Harrell. Unless you want to spend serious bucks on the Promethius, I expect that you'll end up throwing, trickling, and weighing for your 338LM, if you want to have each of your throws be within 0.2+/- grains of powder.

The Quick Measure is a possibility for loading large capacity cases like the 338LM.

Quick Measure - The Accurate Powder Measure

Maybe Shawn C., Kriby A., or some other folks using 338 Edge or larger cartridges will jump in with their recommendations.

JeffVN

You're looking for the RCBS Chargemaster Combo.
The mechanical measures won't accurately meter the coarse powders.

You're looking for the RCBS Chargemaster Combo.
The mechanical measures won't accurately meter the coarse powders.

I, too, load for the .338LM and thought long and hard about my Culver/Lyman and decided that the cavity wasn't large enough for the 80+grains, so I bought the RCBS Chargemaster Combo and haven't looked back.

While it's despensing the charge, I seat the bullet, then dump the powder in the case, press despense, seat the bullet.

Thanks for all the info..

JeffVN, it looks very interresting this quick measure.. Thanks for the link.
thum_up.gif

Winchester 69, You might have a point. I just never trusted the electronically measures, for some reasons and therefore never tried them...

But for long range shooting, it is essential that the charge is uniform/accurate and reliable... I think the right measure is an investment in reloading time, so therefore it is not a matter of money, but quality...

Maybe it is time to look at the RCBS Chargemaster Combo.

BHP9, for how long have You been using the RCBS?

And is there anything negative to say about the RCBS?

I've been using the Chargmaster for 2 years. No problems yet. I would have a hard time going back to other methods. For handgun and high volume loading, I use my Dillon 650. For all my accuracy and long range loads, I use the Chargemaster. I give it 5 stars out of 5!

The largest cartridge I load for is the 338 Allen Mag (143gr H50BMG) and it dispenses as fast as I could need.

AJ

If you are focused on the measure vs a scale, do a search on Belding & Mull. I heard that they were back in business.

I used a B&M exclusively for 222/06/belted mag cartridges until I got the RCBS Chargemaster.

I own both the RCBS Chargemaster and the Harrells Premium culver. Both are excellent bits of equipment. If you go with the Premium thrower, it will throw up to 120 grains in one throw but the large stick powders can hang it up a bit. It is right on the money for small kernel powders but can vary .1 to .3 grains on powders like H1000 or RL25. In something like the Lapua mag, .3 grains may not make any difference if your barrel is forgiving. But if you can't sleep at night knowing your charges may not be perfect, you had better get the Chargemaster.

I was loadind for my 338LM the other day, I timed it at 42 seconds to despense a 92gr charge of h1000. It is a older model I hear the newer ones are much faster.

I was loadind for my 338LM the other day, I timed it at 42 seconds to despense a 92gr charge of h1000. It is a older model I hear the newer ones are much faster.

I just measured mine a few times and for 92gr of H-1000, it took 27-29 seconds. I tweaked the settings a little when I first got it, but they didn't dramatically change the time.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.