Powder help

I found that H 4831 was the best for 1000 yard matches because it seamed to get the most accuracy and velocity. 68 to 71 grains should get you in the neighborhood of 3,000 ft/sec. The maximum in mine was 73 to 74 grains. this may be to hot for your rifle so start low. I never had the Short cut to try in mine but it works well in other rifles that prefer H 4831 and it measures better.

I used 180 and 190 grain Match kings in mine also. (There were no Hammer bullets at the time ether).

J E CUSTOM

H4831sc is a good choice! I did a work up in mine with the 185 berger juggernaut OTM. I don't have specific experience with the 181g Hammer bullet. If it were my rifle, I would start at 66g H4831sc and work from there with a reliable chronograph. JECustom probably knows a bit more than I do. Maybe he would be willing to share some more data directly with you.
Since you are working with a 30/338WIN I imagine you probably know what your chamber is. There are several different '30-338WIN' chambers out there and there isn't a standardized chamber, as far as I know. Sierra has some published data specific to 30/338WIN using a 338WIN case directly necked to hold a 308 bullet. Also, 308Norma mag data can also give you a place to start, but that's about all I'd believe. With heavier loads and heavier bullets the differences between those start to show up. In my experience, 30/338WIN will generally take a bit less powder to get to a specific velocity than 308Norma, especially if you are using heavier bullets and going after top velocities. Also, it won't be quite able to duplicate 300WIN velocities, but it will get close and use less powder to do it.

I have Sierra's 5th edition reloading manual, and it has data for the 30/338. I was just looking for more powder options. This is going to be my primary elk rifle out to 600 yards. I am also looking for good temperature stability.

I load for both a 30/338 and 308 Norma mag. I run 78 to 82 grains with Ramshot magnum. I run a Barnes 180 with 215 m.very temp stability and velocities. I generally get between 3000 to 3050 depending on barrel length.

RL-26 works great in my 300 Win mag so I assume it would be great in this also. The only problem would be to find some. Other powders I believe would be H-1000, Norma MRP , IMR 7828 RL-22 & 25 as well as those previously mentioned. Some are less temp stable than others.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.