powder charge vrs barrel length

Thanks for some good insights! I'm using a 6.5 Rem Mag and my new manuals don't have any data for that wonderful Cinderella caliber. It's in a Rem 660 with an 18.5 inch barrel.

Sierra Manual # 5 has limited loading data for the 6.5 Rem Mag and test rifle was Remington 600 with 18 1/2" barrel. test loads they used 85gr HP,100gr HP and 120gSPT and 120gr HPBT MatchKing. Reason they didn't list any data for 140gr bullet and I'll copy what they wrote.
" This cartridge's appeal is the performance it offers in a short action. This precludes the use of heavier bullets, which encroach on powder space when seated to OAL of 2.800".

Due to that shorter barrel with 120gr bullets max velocity was 2800fps on one load rest were @ 2700fps and start loads were 2400fps. Speer manual has some of the same powders listed but their test rifle was 24" long barrel and there start loads mid 2700fps to high 2900fps.

If it was me I'd get Sierra manual and load to their data and chronograph those loads see how close they are.

Well good luck

I put 18.5 " barrel & 24" barrel into quickload powder burn rate was only 1.37% less on the 18.5 " barrel compared to the 24" barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts