post hole baiting

Post holes, pipes, barrels, etc. are not better attractors, though they may manage to hold hogs in place for a longer duration.

The real downside to post holes is the work. If you dig them deep to hold more corn, the hogs will create a crater around the hole in order to get to the deeper corn and then you are left with a hole to fill, but you will keep them in place longer, which is great if you happen to show up for the hours they are present. If you don't, then you can end up with a big hole.

Like scrmblr, I have tried a bunch of special recipes. Hogs will eat all of them, but it is hard to show that any necessarily attract better than the others. The problem with most people who try out something that they will put their special recipe under or by a feeder where they have been feeding for a long period of time. That invalidates the test because the hogs may simply be returning to a known source.

I have seen the reports where somebody will try something at a feeder and then proclaim it worked because the hogs had not been there for a while before the magic recipe. Maybe it worked or maybe it was just random luck, like when I got and sit at a feeder for a change of venues and hogs show up for the first time in weeks. Am I the attractant?

What I have learned about using food attractants is that hogs will eat all of them, almost all involve corn, none seem to work better than corn, but all seem to require more effort and more $ than just plain old corn.

There is also some internet logic/memory that a change from normal can have a short term negative impact on getting hogs, sometimes. In some cases, people have found that by introducing something new like soured corn, that the hogs did not show up for the first few days, but eventually came and devoured everything.

I know that hogs love fruits and vegetables, but the few times I have tried taking a bunch of rotting watermelons or tomatoes to dump out, the deer and the raccoons ate it all in the first couple of nights. I can't say that it worked for hogs, but watermelons worked great for deer.

I dug a couple of post holes a few years ago in a pasture, now the holes are more like trenches by a corn feeder. There's 4 of the approx 18nches deer by 24" by nearly 10ft.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts