post hole baiting

Get a few 5gal buckets with lids -drill about six holes in the bottom edge --the bottom not the side edge- make the holes about the size of a length wise kernel of corn or a tad smaller.
Tie a piece of rope under the over hanging plastic right below the top -I run a couple of screws through the rope use this as a handle because the wire handle will not hold up.
Hang the bucket on a limb that will let it bob up and down -that way the big hogs can't rear up and rough-house the bucket as much.
Hang the buckets two feet off the ground pour in a packet of strawberry jello DRY then pour in sack corn , this way the hogs will smell it and once the corn comes out from bumping hitting the bucket -they will have learned how to get a treat.
If you put out only one or two buckets the big hogs will run off the others by hogging the bucket , and sounders will look elsewhere to feed.

You can sit and listen from a distance and hear the hogs start smacking the buckets -it is very thick here in FL. so I do it like that.
Or of coarse you can sit at a distance w/a rifle.
I have two led solar motion lights that I use at my spot on the lease - I park down a 375 yard cut and sit in the truck -drink coffee and listen to Waylon Jennings until a customer walks in front of the light -hop out and head on down for a shot.
I've read that truly trophy boars will not come around lights -I've seen true 250-300 lb. hogs on cameras hitting the feeders but no monsters .
I've thought about putting some red cellophane over the lights just haven't taken the time.

The reason for the lights over listening to the hogs hit the buckets is that when within hearing distance -a true mature smart trophy boar will circle the feed area -if it smells where you walked -sees your truck or anything out of the ordinary he will not come to the feeder that night.

I was in a treestand one night last year -wind was good -rubber boots -up tree quietly -a big trophy boar came in from about where I expected . He would take four/five steps breaking sticks with each heavy step -then stand silent for five or more minutes -then take a couple more steps then not a sound for so long I couldn't believe it.
This went on for an hour and a half -finally the wind turned around and blew the exact opposite direction that it had blown so far -no forecast of shifting winds or fronts coming in -light and variable predicted --boom gone he tore the woods down getting out of there I could hear him running for maybe 300 yards..
The guy next to me on the lease -we each have our own area- brought a guest -he killed the boar a couple of weeks later .
Real world #300+lb. boar.

I've tried this the past few years and it seems to work for me. I'm wondering if this is common practice or if i'm giving away an old cajun secret... Not many people seem to do it around here, but i don't want to teach them ;) If not, what technique, if any, is the norm for baiting hogs among the internet world? Thank you for your time.
(dig a post hole 4' deep and put corn in it.)
1) dig a post hole about 2 feet deep
2( Pour in about 20-30 lbs in the hole
3) Pour 2 or 3 cheapest strawberry Jello and sitr up
4) A can of Big Red Strawberry soda
5) cover the hole with dirt
6 Set a game camera to find when they will eat from the post hole.
7 They will dig and dig to find all the corn and then some. The hole is large and ready to find out when they come out to eat. Lots of chances to get as many as you can.

21buck

Here is a "pig pipe" in action, exactly same method as described except I soak my corn in water with yeast and sugar for about a week, works straight up that way.

Excuse the camera, I was holding rifle with 1 hand and compact digital camera with the other lol

pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

I have seen a similar thing done here but it was a 4 inch PVC storm water pipe, 4 foot long screw on capps at both ends and a bunch of holes about the size of a corn kernel in it.

It was tied by one end to a tree, the pigs hung around for ages rolling it around to get out the corn and never saw the shooter arrive, line up and nail all 4 pigs.

Easier than a hole and much more portable.

That is one hell of an idea!

The pipe idea is great and works well. Make sure that one end swivels so that it will roll and not get knotted up. Don't put a lot of corn. They need to move the pipe or tube around so that just a little corn is dispensed. By all means put the strawberry jello dry mixed in the corn.

The post hole is a lot easier to make and less costly. besides as a rancher or farmer you have already spent a lot of $ in losses.

shoot straight, eat well.

One thing I have done with success is using plastic buckets with corn. I have four old bucket that have been outside for a while (new plastic buckets smell and the hogs won't come near) and turn 3 of them upside down next to each other in the shape of a triangle. I put the forth bucket (with small holes drilled in it) filled with corn on top of the 3 buckets. I'm usually in the back of my pickup truck about 75-120 yards downwind for the setup. As soon as I hear the hogs knocking over the buckets to get to the corn, I know it is play time!

I've also used the post hole digger method. I have to be careful where I dig holes, since the holes the hogs create by digging for corn has damaged some of his farming equipment when he tries to plow over/through a hole.

Has anyone used the product "Cornfused"? It is a corn smelling liquid made by Wildgame Innovations. I am thinking about bear baiting as I might draw a tag in Michigan. A bear was making himself pretty comfy in a neighboring corn field and the farm I hunt has corn again this year. Pretty sure the coyotes won't like this type of bait.

I tried it last fall trying to get hogs into a bait pile. I don't think it worked any better than any of the other additives I've tried over the years. I have trail cam pics of bears, but none with the pile I used Cornfused on.

I've never been bear hunting or put bait out specifically for bears.

I've tried several additives to corn to attract hogs. I can't say that any o e works better than another. I think plain corn works best.

Anyone use any additives they would swear by?

Has anyone used the product "Cornfused"?
don't know about the product, but there is a guy on here named packratt whom i'm sure is cornfused. i say that because he pm'ed me with questions on building a pig pipe and asked me how big i think his cornhole should be. then again... maybe i'm the one cornfused. either way, i put him on 'ignore' and didn't answer him.

I have seen a similar thing done here but it was a 4 inch PVC storm water pipe, 4 foot long screw on capps at both ends and a bunch of holes about the size of a corn kernel in it. It was tied by one end to a tree, the pigs hung around for ages rolling it around to get out the corn and never saw the shooter arrive, line up and nail all 4 pigs. Easier than a hole and much more portable.

Pretty much what we use if hunting off the ranch at the farms. Only difference is we put an eye bolt through one end and chain it off to a truck axle driven into the ground. We do try to soak the corn for a couple of days with fruit flavored jello or Kool-aid. The wet corn doesn't come out as easy and it almost looks like a rugby match when they all get it going.

Never tried cornfused and the only question I've ever asked djones about concerning bait is that stuff he uses that looks like Peanut Butter that sometimes shows up in his pictures. Was just curious about it being local or if it was available elsewhere.

From this last post of his, am sure he is back to drinking denatured alcohol and read in the local paper that he was arrested last week for going down to the County Library and was caught going from Bike to Bike sniffing the girls Bicycle seats! Oh well!

Packrat

Packrat.gif

From this last post of his, am sure he is back to drinking denatured alcohol and read in the local paper that he was arrested last week for going down to the County Library and was caught going from Bike to Bike sniffing the girls Bicycle seats! Oh well! View attachment 49175

You know in retrospect, with the unisex bicycles how does he determine which ones were ridden by the girls? Well in his case, not sure it makes any difference.

There must be a bloodhound or two in his family history, since all the neighborhood dogs around here introduce themselves to each other the same way! Bet he is real fun to watch at the local watering hole when he walks in and tries to determine if he knows anyone!

Packrat

Packrat.gif

I tried this technique for baiting hogs in North Georgia in the summer time. I dug a hole about 3 feet deep and filled it up with corn and Hog Wild beast feast but since it smells like berries I could not keep the dern bears out of it. There will not be any hogs around if there are bears on your bait.

I did the same thing in N.E. NC, in front of a game cam. Best pictures I ever got. A 450 lb. bear eating out of one hole and 2 300 lb hogs eating out of another one, 20' apart for about a half hour. Next best was a turkey and a fox eating about 10' apart. Who would have thunk it?

I did the same thing in N.E. NC, in front of a game cam. Best pictures I ever got. A 450 lb. bear eating out of one hole and 2 300 lb hogs eating out of another one, 20' apart for about a half hour. Next best was a turkey and a fox eating about 10' apart. Who would have thunk it?

I've too have seen some odd stuff on trail camera's. Like two bucks a 9 and 10pt in velvet standing up fighting like does.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts