post hole baiting

granillanutz

I've tried this the past few years and it seems to work for me. I'm wondering if this is common practice or if i'm giving away an old cajun secret... Not many people seem to do it around here, but i don't want to teach them ;) If not, what technique, if any, is the norm for baiting hogs among the internet world? Thank you for your time.
(dig a post hole 4' deep and put corn in it.)

What are you baiting for, hogs? Would it work for bear? How much corn do you put in it? I can see it working for other animals.

Thanks

I tried this technique for baiting hogs in North Georgia in the summer time. I dug a hole about 3 feet deep and filled it up with corn and Hog Wild beast feast but since it smells like berries I could not keep the dern bears out of it. There will not be any hogs around if there are bears on your bait.

Technique works great. Where I'm from in Texas, we use corn with Big Red soda poured over it...cheaper than Hog Wild and seems to work longer since it soaks all the way to the bottom of the hole.

I've tried this myself dug some hole 2.5-3ft deep corn and pig out was dumped into the holes came back a 2 weeks later to several totally rooted up holes. I'm trying it again, going to try and get them coming to the bait holes on a more predictable and frequent basis.

I have seen a similar thing done here but it was a 4 inch PVC storm water pipe, 4 foot long screw on capps at both ends and a bunch of holes about the size of a corn kernel in it.

It was tied by one end to a tree, the pigs hung around for ages rolling it around to get out the corn and never saw the shooter arrive, line up and nail all 4 pigs.

Easier than a hole and much more portable.

I remember talking to a guy who did that very same thing with a pvc pipe only tossed a bell on the end and hunted it at night with a good bit of luck. I may have to give it a shot.

I have seen a similar thing done here but it was a 4 inch PVC storm water pipe, 4 foot long screw on capps at both ends and a bunch of holes about the size of a corn kernel in it.

It was tied by one end to a tree, the pigs hung around for ages rolling it around to get out the corn and never saw the shooter arrive, line up and nail all 4 pigs.

Easier than a hole and much more portable.

Did you do anything special with the bait? like add pig wild or any other attractant?

i dump some cheap large containers of strawberry cool aid in my post hole mixed with the corn. big red soda would work just as well.

If you are hunting an area with no cows, use cattle "cubes" in the post hole. Strong odor to attract them and they love them. Come in 50 # sacks at feed stores, tractor supply, etc.

A couple of friends did this with corn and the bait lasted a while. They said after a week it looked like somebody had set off a bomb.

We have several areas that we bait holes with corn. We've used dry corn right out of the bag, dry corn with cherry jello mixed before we dump it in the hole, corn with beer dumped over it, but the best has been to mix a concoction as if you were making a mash. (NO I DON'T MAKE WHISKEY) fill a 3' hole to about 6" from the top and fill remainder with dirt. The wet mixture will absorb into the ground and the hogs will keep coming back and rooting around even after the corn is gone. Give the hole 24 to 48 hours to start working and use your game cameras to find out when the holes are getting hit. With some cover you'll probably get some daylight action. If the area is pretty open count on night time action.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.