Possible?

eddybo

I am thinking about having a .30/06AI built. Can you run the reamer in .054 further and use .280AI brass necked up? Would you be able to use .280 guages? If it was throated long for the 208 A-Max, wouldnt that also increase case capcity by having less bullet shoved back in the case?

eddybo, first question: I don't know, Ackley's handbook doesn't have case dimensions in it. I believe some loading manuals do have Ackley case dimensions. I do know tho, that if you sink a reamer deeper than it was intended, and it has any taper on it, the chamber will get loose. Second question: I don't think so if you're talking about a .280 Rem headspace gage. The go / no-go gages are cut based on a case head to datum line dimension on the case shoulder. The A.I. cases have a different shoulder angle than the .280 factory case. I don't think the headspace gages for the .280 Rem would give a correct chamber length reading on the Ackley chamber. Third question: yes. And if you build on a Remington long action, you've got plenty of room to feed out of the mag well with long O.A.L.'s. My experience with .280 Rem and 30-06 gov't is that the standard throat will get used up quickly, so you will need a custom throated reamer (or a throating reamer).

I would call Dave Manson and ask him the first two questions just to be absolutely sure. If he's there, he will take time to talk to you.

Let us know, Tom

Thanks, I am just thinking that since the .280 case is about 45 thousanths longer than the 30-06 case there has to be a way to use it to wring a little more case capacity out of an AI by using it.
I thought that you could use standard go/ no go guages on AI rounds for some reason, but may be wrong I guess it would depend where the guage indexed.
It may not even be worth worrying with. I may come out better just using the 06 lapua brass.

eddybo; since I couldn't find the Ackley case dimensions, I don't know if the .280 A.I. is actually longer than the '06 A.I. I'll look at some books out in my shop tomorrow and see if I can find the dimensions. Now I'm curious.

I'll post if I find anything. The question is an interesting one. The more I read and learn about P. O. Ackley, the more I'm impressed.

Tom

I dunno, have never even researched the gibbs rounds? But thanks for giving me something to look into. I would guess that any idea that I would have, with my limited knowledge, would have already been tried....or ruled out by someone with more IQ and experiance. Thats why I love this site, people with a wealth of knowledge that will share....thanks guys.

wouldn't a 30/280 AI be just about the same as the 30 Gibbs?
RR

ANybody know why the pressure listed in QL for the gibbs is lower than the 06AI?

Nevermind.....looked st the reamer prints in QL and there isnt the difference that I at first thought. Guess you shouldnt believe everything you see on the internet. Was looking at some reamer lists/prints on the net and they were different.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.