Possible scope problem?

Brent

Dad has a Springfield Armory 3rd gen scope, he couldn't get the thing on the bull when sighting in yesterday after the new barrel was installed.

First, the factory 308win was rechambered to 300wsm, the action trued etc. Shot fine at near middle of adjustment on elevation turret.

Next, the new Pacnor 28" bbl was installed, 300wsm also.
- Dad moved the front ring forward to the next slot for more room.
- He used the same scope, rings, bases except for the change mentioned above.
- The rifle at max adjustment would come up to 6 inches low of the bull, that's it.
- He said he thought the crosshairs didn't move then jumped when dialing to get the impact to come up.
- Whould the scope ring placement on the tube in the more foreward position affect any internal operations? If so how?
- He has moved the ring back to the rear slot but hasn't shot it since then though.

Any input appreciated.
smile.gif

Clean the barrel over again and do it good!
Keep all shots 3to4 minutes appart, don't
let the barrel get warm. Lock down the rifle
using sand bags or a rifle stand,but you must lock down the rifle, As for SPRINGFIELD scopes, from what I have been told they are
very good..Keith..

Possible:

If the rings were not lapped AND not straight, tightening the scope tube into them can bind the internal adjustment. This is rare but I have seen it happen in the worst cases.

S1 might be onto something, and I didn't think about it until he mentioned it.

I received a SA 3rd Gen scope on a trade and the thing was a *** already...the previous owner had tightened the rear ring a little toooooo much and crushed the scope tube. On initial examination of the rifle/scope combination the power ring seemed a little sticky but when we tried to zero the thing it was not very cooperative and the reticle would jump around (not remain zeroed).

Loosen the rear scope ring a bit and see if your problem goes away...this cured the adjustment problem on the 3rd Gen I had but the gorilla-fingered SOB that put the scope on in the first place had also chipped some internal lenses (became visible once the power ring became fully operational) and the scope was trash (actually, the scope was trash right from the manufacturer, after all IT WAS A Springfield Armory scope IMHO!).

Thank you guys.

I second your opinion on the SA scopes too Dave! I never have liked them, the glass is ho-hum for the money and the turrets suck too. My dad has always liked the BDC setup they employ and the rest though.

Right after I got my NF 5.5-22, I had himconvinced to get one too, the guy didn't take visa at the 1100 dollar price tag, so he ordered the SA from Cabelas next day air. He had it mounted two days later. I couldn't believe it! The price he paid, almost 800 bucks with shipping, could have had a nice Lupy for that!

He had a SA gen 2 already and I think he just liked the reticle it had...
frown.gif

We had a friend that had the same problem you had Dave, it was a *** ATN brand scope and the rear ring had pinched the power adjustment ring from moving at all unless the screws were almost completely loosened!

My dad says the scope doesn't stick and tracks fine now that he moved the front ring back a slot to where it had been before, we'll see. When he gets it all zeroed and grouping well next time out, I'll swap the NF 5.5-22 over to it and let him see how much better it will group. I think his scope is trashed myself.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

Brent,

About 3 years ago I had a SA 3rd gen scope and experianced all sorts of problems. My first one's reticle house turned sideways. I sent it in and it took over 8 months and many phone calls to get it replaced.

After reciving the new one, after about a year, I moved the scope forward and put the front ring within 1/8" of the objective taper, and it was never the same. All the parralax and focusing properties were way way off. Big ***. I sold it and bought a night force 5.5-22. I LOVE it, and it sounds like you know all about them. Scince you are from Palmer, I assume you know where the Knik river is, as that is where I shoot long range 3-5 times weekly.

Happy shooting to you

Brent.
Sorry if I may have been wrong on my opinion of the SA SCOPE, It was my opinion and it is many times wrong. I am a rookie at this long range shooting stuff,heck most of the people I know cant drop over a grand for a premium quality scope......Keith..

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.