Portable shooting/hunting bench

Nice bench Chris. Don't think it would be much trouble to make it with a solid front bar with both legs welded to it like BH says. The only problem I see, you mounted the legs to the wrong side of the table! Think I'll make one! Thanks again for the pic! Hey guys, why can't I just weld a 1/2" or 5/8" nut on the legs, drill a hole in it (first!), then run a bolt in it for a "stay", and use it to lock a smaller pipe, like 1" to be used to level the legs. Sounds good.

[ 02-03-2003: Message edited by: littletoes ]

I'm sure that a piece of flat 1/4" metal would make YOU feel better, but I'm not sure it would help the bench any. This bench is made with a 1.5" laminated Oak top, and doesn't flex at all. There will be more flex in the extendable legs than in the top. I have killed PD's in excess of 1000 yds with a bench just like this one and believe me, they are rock solid.
grin.gif

agree with you except we had some boys that liked to "lean" on em. The top was never the problem, ours are very similar to your model. Just found the plate made the legs for rigid feeling and less apt to wobble. We just made a plate about 6 x 24" and welded the couples onto them and then screwed the legs in. Just something for anyone else to think about IF they think their's is a little wobbly.

Good Luck

BH

I think you both have some good points! Maybe you'll think this is funny, have a friend that made his out of 1/2" steel plate. It doesn't flex at all! I don't think its very portable, though.

I can see where the flat plate might help the legs feel a little more sturdy, as the front two(and rear two) would be tied together and would move as one. Mine is rock solid right now, I guess if tries to get wobbly with me down the road, I could always try tying the leg plates together with some flat plate and give it more surface area to bear on.

Along the lines of stiffening the setup, I used 2"x1/8" square box stock to make a triangular welded frame for my table. Then just 1 sheet of plywood bolted to the top of that is the surface. The legs are splayed just as everyone says, I took pipe flanges and welded them (using a shim to angle them) right to the triangular framework. This setup is not quite as solid as the concrete benches at the range, but so close I'd be happy to shoot off it in competition if I had to.

Another note for you guys with the benches. My neighbor who works on big rigs takes the Fan clutches out of big trucks and uses that as the swivel for the top of benches. They are REAL stout and glide so smooth because of the fluid clutch that they're a joy to shoot off of. Ask a truck mechanic to get a few when they take a dump and they'll work just fine for benches. They're just out of balance so they get replaced. If you can get a new one, that's better yet.

I built mine from a used bar tabletop. The legs are made from 2" aluminum conduit and the bases are made by cutting a 2" conduit coupling at about a 20 degree angle and then welding the cut end to a mounting plate. It is heavy enough to be stable, but can also be carried 100 or so yards without too much trouble. Really steady too.

000_0093.JPG

000_0088.JPG

what kind of chair do you use? i am getting the plans ready for a bench but not sure what to sit on. some pictures would be nice. thanks

Lot of guys use old piano stools with cushions, new drummer stools, or sinclair sells a nice one for about $90, others use the fold up wooden ones with cushions. I found a fold up cushion drummer style stool new in a store for $20. Just look around and see what you can find used at music store etc.

BH

I usually use a 5 gallon bucket and one of those Hot Seats for a pad. I've also been known to use a folding camp chair when PD shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.