Poor man's long range gun

Re: Poor man\'s long range gun

Try this one on. Since you have $1300 budget, you can get yourself a custom rifle right away.

Get a Savage in a RUM. Spin on a Pac Nor rechambered barrel. Even swap in a Boyds stock. You should still be under your budget.

however, with a bedding job and some load work up, most Savage or Stevens will shoot very well. Now you can have a rifle and scope for $1300 or less.

If you don't need a light trigger, a Stevens 200 in 300WM will do dual duty. Just not a lot of shots before the barrel heats up. But then, you can always swap barrels.

If you decide that a single shot is ok, wow, we can really drop your costs and up your options.

Jerry

Re: Poor man\'s long range gun

FIRST OFF WANT TO THANK EVERY ONE FOR THE HELP. I PURCHASED A REMINTON 700P IN 300RUM LAST FRIDAY. SHOOTABILITY STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, AVAILIBILITY OF PARTS FOR FUTURE CHANGES, AND ALSO INTERESTED IN THE 338 EDGE CARTRIDGE IN THE FUTURE FINALLY HELPED ME SOLIDIFY THE DECISION. I BOUGHT A SHEPHERD 6-18 V1A, MARK IV RINGS AND A BADGER BASE TO TOP IT OFF. I HAVE BEEN KIND OF SECOND GUESSING THE SCOPE BECAUSE OF THE 1000 YD. RETICLE LIMITATIONS, BUT THE BENIFITS OF THE SHEPHERD QUICK TARGET ACQUSITION WILL FAR OUT WEIGH ITS LIMITS. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP. REMEMBER WE MUST FIGHT INCREMENTALISM AT ALL TURNS. AS CALIFORNIAN MY GUN RIGHTS DETERIATION IS VIEW INTO THE FUTURE OT THE REST OF THE NATION.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.