Poor man's long range gun

Re: Poor man\'s long range gun

Thanks for all of the input. I am new to this site, but I can tell you guys are my kind of people (2nd amendment lovers). 1.This gun will be used primarily for long range hunting, elk, deer and coyote, possibly some target shooting. 2.I already have a seperate $700 dollars set aside for the scope. I am sure I will catch hell for this, but will probably buy a Shepherd 6-18. I have one on my Sako 7mm and it is easy to use and very clear.
3.As for buying a weatherby, I have only had a small amount of exposure to them but almost all of it has been negative when it comes to accuracy. I will definately research the 338-378 some more. 5.Price isn't a real deterant as far as ammo, because I will reload. 6.The reason I lean toward the Sendero is availibility of parts for Model 700.

Don't count out the Savage 116 SAK I have one that shoots sub sub min and a friend has one that will shoot that good too.As far as Weatherbys I have a friend who had an accumark that wouldn't shoot 2" at 100 yds. and Weatherby wouldn't make up the gun, they may stand behind their products but they stood too far back to suit me!I do know of 2 Wbys that will shoot sub min, I'm not bashing all of them just the one 'ol Coker had... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, I do have Rugers and Savage's - if you've ever tried Savage's Accutrigger you'd be impressed. I'll bet we'll never see a Timney or Shillen replacement trigger for an Accutrigger. I have a nice little M77 - MKII Compact Stainless, laminated stock in 7-08 for sale, it has been replaced by a Savage. I don't consider myself a poor man, but I just like good value for my hard earned money.

I currently own three ultimate poor mans long range hammers built by Kirby. He not only makes the hottest uber mags, he will built you a semi-custom gun. I had new 300, 338 & 375 RUMS. Because the 300 was a SENDARO with 26" fluted SS tube and was shooting sub MOA AND I found a bargain on a used Savage 300 RUM, I sent him the Savage and the Rem 338, 375. For not much more than your budget they all have 30" Lilja #8 contour. pipe, trigger job, custom stock, Holland QD brake, scope rail hole bored to #8-40 (per gun) - they all shot sub 1/2 MOA with minimal load dev. The 375 kicks less than my .243 winny.

The 300 RUM/Savage/Kirby/Lilja has a fast twist 1:11 tube that shoots 155gr scenars. I was thinking of having Kirby build me a 300 rum with a 1:8 twist to shoot the new 240gr MK, but why? The 300gr MK out the 338 RUM is far superior.

The 375 RUM is actually the most fun to tote around and shoot, being the lightest (biggest diameter).

The 338 does everything the 300 does, only better. I'll probably have Kirby make my next hammer a 338 RUM Improved with 300 RUM length brass (not sure if that's necessary as you can't fill 338 RUM brass now when shooting 300gr pills, but perhaps you can with the slowest powders and a 36" tube)

Pick up a used 338 RUM (they are dirt cheap as they kick too hard for mortals). Have Kirby or another good smith put a Lilja or other quality pipe on it and a good brake (I recommend Holland QD), trigger job - and you've got the ultimate long range hammer. You should be able to do that for close to your budget. You won't be able to get the heavy/long #8 contour or new stock, but you can still end up with a sub 1/2 MOA Long Range Hammer.

Or go out and buy a tubed amp and a Harley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Definately the best combo for the $ is the savage that has the most features you want, paired with a good scope. If you decide you want the ballistics of a round that savage dosen't chamber, no problem, because aftermarket barrels are easily avalable, and cheap from many, many companies... and you can do the conversions at home.
I threaded the 300Wm barrel off my action last month and screwed on a new tube with a 7mm hole in it. Its shooting fast and accurate, and when I get all the testing and development done, you guys arent going to believe what this cheap combo will do.
Thats saying a lot... considering I DO consider myself a poor man.

Heres a taste: 162 Amax at 3004 fps
7mmat100.jpg

I went with the Sendero and don't regret it. I'm still in load development but it appears I'll easily be sub-MOA to approaching 1/2 MOA with just a self trigger job.

Does anyone know about the specs. on the Remington 700P in 300 ultra mag. their web page has very little info. and I called the remington customer service line and the rep said he recomends the 700P over the sendero, but had no hard facts or information why. I do like the matte finish on the police model better than the stainless finish of the sendero. Also couldn't find any Savages chambered for the Ultra mag cartridges for those, who were suggesting the Savage rifles.

I have found very few Remington pss's that will not shoot sub MOA. They have decent barrels (for a stock tube) and make a decent LR kit for a beginning shooter. Work up a good load and add a jewell or shilen trigger and you're set. Best thing is that when you're ready you can do ANYTHING to a remington, aftermarket parts are prevalent and it's a great base for a custom rifle. It comes with a decent stock too.

I've been dying for the group photos. There are definitely not up to custom specs but as soon as I burn out these factory Krieger Criterion button rifled tomato stakes, I'll have Kirby improve these Accumarks to where they will shoot respectable. You have to forgive my shooting as all my target and field work is shot with only one hand out the window of my wheelchair van. I have to time my shots between spasms and wind gusts but I manage.

Here is a typical 180 grain Nosler Partition group from my factory 300Wby
SVI_300Weatherby351group.jpg

Here is how my 257 Accumark shoots. Both these groups were shot rapid fire. If you don't mind the wait they will stay right in there as long as the ammo holds out.
257wbytargets003resized3sw.jpg

Both have their factory stock triggers adjusted down under 1 pound. No need to be burdened with having to buy stuff to get these poor man rigs to work.

Yes, go with the Rem Sendero!!!
I bought a Savage 116FSS 300 rum, and it is way to light and kicks like a mule. I would have bought a Sav heavy barrel if they would have offered one. Now Im looking at the fact that the gun kicks hard even with a Limbsaver recoil pad. The gun needs a heavy barrel($300+), the stock sucks(300+), the trigger is fine, I replace the spring and it is set at about 10 ounces. Savage bolts have a heavy lift and if you want to correct that is another $100.
So, gun almost 500
new barrel 300
new stock 300
---------------------
Gun will cost min of 1100

New Remington Sendero, like 800-850, it is a good buy.
Remingtons trigger are very adjustable and comporable, just no safety on it like the savage. Savage fit and finish ar a little rough.
see link: http://www.accuratereloading.com/300rum.html

You should have got the 116SAK! Mine doesn't kick much and is capable of extreme accuracy under 2" at 635yds. many one hole groups @ 100yds. and a few at 200yds. all this with factory stock that is pillar bedded, the stock could be better the trigger pull is very light and crisp but not originally.This is first and only Savage I have owned but it is a shooter period /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You should have got the 116SAK! Mine doesn't kick much and is capable of extreme accuracy under 2" at 635yds. many one hole groups @ 100yds. and a few at 200yds. all this with factory stock that is pillar bedded,

[/ QUOTE ]
personal anecdotes are not helpful. You can't generalize. I have a factory .270 Win a-bolt that shots .5 MOA, I got lucky. I have a pal that has a factory 7mm STW that shoots less that .5MOA to 1000 yards, he admits, he got Really lucky

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, go with the Rem Sendero!!!
I bought a Savage 116FSS 300 rum, and it is way to light and kicks like a mule. I would have bought a Sav heavy barrel if they would have offered one. Now Im looking at the fact that the gun kicks hard even with a Limbsaver recoil pad. The gun needs a heavy barrel($300+), the stock sucks(300+), the trigger is fine, I replace the spring and it is set at about 10 ounces. Savage bolts have a heavy lift and if you want to correct that is another $100.
So, gun almost 500
new barrel 300
new stock 300
---------------------
Gun will cost min of 1100

New Remington Sendero, like 800-850, it is a good buy.
Remingtons trigger are very adjustable and comporable, just no safety on it like the savage. Savage fit and finish ar a little rough.
see link: http://www.accuratereloading.com/300rum.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, My 300 RUM Sendero didn't cost that much new. Because it was shooting sub MOA with the first load dev and raw brass, I decided to pick up a used 300 RUM Savage ( $350) to send to Kirby. You can read the details on the gun above, but the stock was half what you quote. The tube was an awesome 30" Lilja #8 contour - your price sounds about right but I have a 20x better tube than any factory gun, far better than My Sendero. Kirby also did a trigger job and finished it off with a Holland QD brake, so it kicks much less than my .243 win.

[ QUOTE ]
add a jewell or shilen trigger and you're set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jewell triggers are not great for LRH, they are really for BR.
I think the best deal is Rifle Basix. I picked up a couple Rem 700 8oz to 1.5# for $100 each and one 2oz to 6oz. Even cheaper is a trigger job. After Kirby sent me the 3 RUMs I couldn't shoot any of my factory guns that previously shot fine, I had to send them all to him for Holland QD brakes and trigger jobs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The $100 price was a one time special at Midway, I haven't seen it since so don't ask. I think the going rate is $125 on Rifle Basix.

Isn't this entire thread personal ancedotes? There's hardly scientific data on the question...

There's always a component of luck with factory guns, true. But you can increase your odds by going with one that lots of people have had good luck with.

Edited to add that 800-850 is a common price for Senderos, I look at several shops before buying one and except for a 300 RSAUM they couldn't seem to give away, they were in that range or higher in a couple cases.

Don't try to enlighten Big Bore!I have heard of dozens of Savages that shoot great right out of the box mine and one other are the only ones that I can demonstrate.I have a friend that has a Sendero that shoots great but it will not shoot any better than my Savage!To me the 2 important factors in a rifle being accurate is accurate ammo and operator accurate rifle being a given in this scenario...
I have rifles of several brands that shoot well, some I made some I bought I am sure that there are duds in each line but there must be accurate ones as well!The more positive comments I hear about rifles the more I am inclined to try them...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.