Poor Man's 3-10 or 4-14 Scope?

TORCHRIDER

I built a lightweight Savage 300 Win Mag with sporter barrel, B&C stock and Timney trigger to use for mid-range hunting (100-500 yards) of hogs, deer, antelope, Elk and exotics. It weighs in at about 7 lbs. I am looking for a scope in the 3-10 or 4-14 range to put on top of it. I need a decent amount of eye relief as well. I don't want to spend more than $500. I would like to know what you recommend. Can be new or used. Thank You.

Cabelas has the Leupold VX3 3.5x10 CDS on sale now for $399! I went for that deal last year at this time, but got it at Sportsmans.

It's a great little scope, and that's an awesome deal!

Cabelas has the Leupold VX3 3.5x10 CDS on sale now for $399! I went for that deal last year at this time, but got it at Sportsmans.

It's a great little scope, and that's an awesome deal!

Thank you. I will surely check it out.

I would throw in the Minox ZA5-HD 3-15x56 that Cameraland has on it's Deal of the Day for $349. Sharp, clear glass. Great early/late clarity to boot. I have one on m 25-06 and one on a .243. Mine are the 3-15x42 version with their 600 yard reticle.
Both will 'box' a target well and repeat back to zero quite well. To me, they are one of the 'deals' out there for a good quality scope. Mine compare well to a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15 I have.

Camera Land's Deal of the Day

I would throw in the Minox ZA5-HD 3-15x56 that Cameraland has on it's Deal of the Day for $349. Sharp, clear glass. Great early/late clarity to boot. I have one on m 25-06 and one on a .243. Mine are the 3-15x42 version with their 600 yard reticle.
Both will 'box' a target well and repeat back to zero quite well. To me, they are one of the 'deals' out there for a good quality scope. Mine compare well to a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15 I have.

Camera Land's Deal of the Day

Thank You. I wish they had the 42 objective version available. I cant imagine how high I'd have to mount a 56mm Objective.

What are your thoughts on the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD scope? Its on sale for $249 from $599 at Cabelas. The VX3 is no longer on sale.

Thank You. I wish they had the 42 objective version available. I cant imagine how high I'd have to mount a 56mm Objective.

Depending on barrel contour and manufacturer you'd probably get away with lows.

What are your thoughts on the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD scope? Its on sale for $249 from $599 at Cabelas. The VX3 is no longer on sale.

I have not heard much about the lower powered vipers. The higher powered vipers get fuzzy at the top end of magnification. Thats an attractive price though I'm not a mrad guy, I've recently read that the diamondback HP is clearer than the vipers. At 229$ I'm thinking about grabbing one.

They aren't actually shipping or selling for that. On other forums people are "ordering", but Cabela's cancels the order an hour later. You can try, but you won't have any luck. I have one of those I am willing to sell, but not quite that low. PM me if interested. I have two of them personally (aside from the one new in the box), and love them.

Funny, I just talked to a friend of mine at Cabelas and he told me that when any scope goes on a steep discount at Cabelas, the employees buy up the scopes as fast as they can to resell them. That means that most consumers like you and me rarely get to purchase one at those prices unless we are one of the first to act.

There is only one scope in the price range I would go for. That is a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40. If you could get a new 4500, that would be even better because the glass is supposed to be better.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.