POLL : what cleaning juice or method ?

Len,
Washrag, soap and my mother standing over me asking, "Did you wash your neck?!"
wink.gif

I vibrate/ tumble mine after sizing, turning, etc to get rid of lube.
Chris

I toss the brass in the tumbler for a couple of minutes. But I use a can of compressed air ( the kind used for keeping dust out of your keyboard ) to blow all of the junk off of the tool after every few rounds.

Here's a different twist...

GM Top Engine cleaner for the powder/charcoal, Sweets for the copper and Castrol Syntec to oil the thing!

Len,

When I asked the guys at Sinclair that same question, their answer was "we don't, we just shoot it out".
I've been shooting the Imperial Sizing Wax out since then with no problem.

VH

I stick a clean patch (40 cal) over a small dia brush, in and out three times and switch to a new patch after each 5 cases. I'm ready to load in a few minutes.
smile.gif

I had two different kinds of lube on the insides of my necks. The Imperial came out ok in my tumbler yesterday but the other gooky one didn't. I wanted to be able to work up loads while fireforming so this morning I first used some oderless paint thinner before tumbling them for a while. Worked fine.

Thanks, all.

Shooters Choice/Kroil then Wipeout. Sometimes JB's. Len, I use rubbing alcohol to clean brass after turning. Just dump 'em in & let sit for a while.

Tiptons truly remarkable bore solvent, the name says it all!!!!!

I had powder fouling residue build up at the crown and it cleaned it right up.

Although my .243 isn't as pronounced as the .270.

Wipeout, Gunslick foam, the whole KG system, Shooters Choice/Kroil mix, Montana Extreme, BBS, warthog1134, whatever I feel like picking up out of my cleaning kit.

What's really surprised me lately is filling up the bore with the gunslick foam and letting it sit for about 30 minutes. Take a patch and wrap it over a brush. Stroke the bore about 20 times. Replace brush with jag. Push about 2 dry patches. Push a new patch soaked with any regular solvent....I mostly use the choice/kroil mix as it is in a bottle always handy on my cleaning vice. Push a second wet one down. By this time the second one comes out clean. Then dry patch.

I've double checked this in a couple of rifles in the last 2 weeks and rebrushed them with another solvent thinking the patches would come out black but they didn't.

Has anyone tried warthog after their usual cleaning method?? I have been using wipeout foam, and have been happy with it. However, I have been told if I use warthog after I think my gun is clean, warthog will prove me wrong.

My two PD buddies (of many years) and I have switched to WartHog. It gets all the powder and Cu fouling out of even .20 bores in very short order...just follow the included instructions.

I use Butch's for the bore,and hoppe's #9 to clean other part like the bolt.I have also discovered that Butch's works amazing on brass.My Smith and Wesson 500 really burns the cases after each shot,and what would normally take 5-6 hours with the tumbler to clean up,I can wipe them clean with some Butch's in a matter of seconds!I also soak the necks on my bottleneck cases for just a few minutes and they look like new,inside and out.

Has anyone tried warthog after their usual cleaning method?? I have been using wipeout foam, and have been happy with it. However, I have been told if I use warthog after I think my gun is clean, warthog will prove me wrong.
It proved me wrong. But a lot more brushing with just about any solvent will do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.