Point of aim - hits to left and low

Bravo and Willys

I too originally thought Zupatuns issue was due to a change in load. But after reading through the whole post again, I am unsure that is the case entirely.

Think maybe there's something else going on.............Zupatun, can you clarify?? Are you seeing POI shift with the same load, after sighting in with same said load??

Bravo and Willys

I too originally thought Zupatuns issue was due to a change in load. But after reading through the whole post again, I am unsure that is the case entirely.

Think maybe there's something else going on.............Zupatun, can you clarify?? Are you seeing POI shift with the same load, after sighting in with same said load??

I typically sight in (before load development with a new bullet/charge or remounting scope etc..) using 168gr fed match ammo or Black H ills Match 168 and adjust scope so in dead nuts on. Then I shoot my load dev. Rounds. The last three sets of load dev. Were all about 1moa to left consistently...

I think it may have more to do with me settling in to my shooting position and parallax or how I'm shooting through the scope. I'm going to start putting some "match" groups in the middle of my load development to mix it up a bit.

I found the glitch in my Android app that had my long range drops about 1.5MOA off..

Matt

Every powder / bullet / primer /case combo has the potential to shoot to a different POI (point of impact) for a variety of reasons, not the least of which are barrel harmonics, pressure curves, standard deviations within any given load, built up internal metal stresses from machining, the list goes on and on. When you think about it, that's where the BOSS system, cryogenic treating, etc. comes into play. They are all attempts to minimize the effects they have on point of impact/group size.

As one works up several loads for any given rifle, this becomes more obvious. While trying several loadings for any rifle, one pays attention to the group size, not the center of the group. Plenty of time to adjust the crosshairs once a load is settled on.

One of the things reloaders cherish are loads that shoot to the same POI, especially with different bullet weights. Some rifles are far more forgiving than others, some cartridges have better reputations for putting different loads to the same POI than others. One may even develop loads for this trait, for example, a .30/06 that shoots 150 Accubonds and 200 Partitions to the same POI for an upcoming western deer/elk combo hunt.

Hope this helps...

Bruce,
I believe his last explanation confirmed your first and our last assumption. He expects different loads to hit the same POI.

Stocky,
I think the problem is that he just doesn't believe us. I don't pretent to know everything, but he seems to have proven it himself several times.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.