Pocket PDA

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by sniperboy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. sniperboy

sniperboy Well-Known Member

Hi to all

I am wanting to buy a pocket PDA for the nightforce ballistic program, and would like to know what brand and model of PDA is been used and is there a particullar brand or particullar requirement of program required to runs that program better?

Thanks
    sniperboy

2. Mike6158

Mike6158 Well-Known Member

Nightforce is selling a new all weather system called the TDS Recon and TDS Nomad that looks pretty good. The TDS Recon is $900.00 and the TDS Recon is quite a bit higher but I don't remember how much higher. It has a lot more memory capacity and it has a built in GPS. The same device is used in the industry that I work in and it's very robust.

I use a Dell Axim 50. There's a newer version out there. I put a different (larger) battery in it (works great) and run LoadBase 3.0 on it.

3. mikebob

mikebob Well-Known Member

I run exbal on my at&t fuze phone, works good

4. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Get on ebay and get a Dell Axim X50 to V51v. These seem to work well.

5. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Sorry, type o X51v

6. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

This item is driving me crazy to buy. Go to e-bay for the dell and get out bid by a $1.00 everytime. Hate to spend the money for the recon. What would be the big advantage of the recon if i was only using it for ballistic software purpose.
    mike

7. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

Try your local craigslist, that is where I bought my Dell X50v from. At least you can see it work in person.
    Tarey

8. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Exbal does not need much to run.

Recons are way too much in my opinion. $900.00... who am I going to impress?

Any Axim just about will do great even for LoadBase 3.0 that's a full House!

Here is a link for used PDA's

Top Sellers :: Usedhandhelds.com

9. Mike6158

It's not really worth it if all you're using it for is ballistics. The Axim runs Excel, has a calendar, synchs with your pc, and does a bunch of things (that most smart phones do now) so it's definitely the best bang for the buck. The funny thing is, mine sat on top of my big food dehydrator for years. I almost gave it away a bunch of times but with all of the smart phone and ipod stuff that's out there nobody wanted it. Then I discovered ballistics programs for the PDA so I dusted it off, replaced the battery with a big one that lasts forever, and I use it all the time :)

10. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

sounds like a plan, so i really dont need many bells and whistles with it?
    mike

11. Mike6158

No. It comes pretty complete. The extended battery that I have for mine is amazing. It lasts for hours. If I can find the link to the site where I bought it I'll post it.

12. mo

mo Well-Known Member

Will Exbal run on an Ipod Touch or Iphone?? I put a Ballstics program on my daughters Ipod, and it seem to work well. The program only cost 12.00

13. mikebob

mikebob Well-Known Member

Exbal will not work on iPhone or iPod touch. I use ballistic fte on my iPhone it has HUD which is pretty cool

14. TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

I have a Dell axim x51v with the Nightforce program and card that's in new condition if you are interested. It's never been used. I ended up using my iphone ballistic program.

TLC