PLRF10 Rangefinder review

RDM416

I'm bored..... This is the third day sitting in a deer stand in northern Missouri from before daylight to dark. Seeing lots of deer but no shooters. I do have phone signal so I thought I would pass a little time by doing a report on my first trip with my new RF.

The longest distance I can see is 2834 yards. I can range that hillside in bright sunlight and get an instant reading, no waiting like the swaro. Push the button and the range is displayed instantly. I have been ranging deer and turkeys in a flat bean stubble field out to over 1400 yards. I have the RF on a tripod or sandbag for stability. I can move just slightly off a deer and read the ground or aim on the deer and get the exact reading each time. A bit ago I was playing around ranging individual trees in a treeline over 1000 yards away.

I missed my NM elk hunt due to health issues so I have not got try really long ranges yet. So far I am most impressed with the tight beam and instant response. Would I buy again? Yep, I wish I had not waited so long to get this one.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new toy. They make some great gear. The other day I got to play with a new $80,000+ thermal/LRF/GPS/and then some hand held device we are supposed to get for the upcoming deployment. Your LRF kinda makes my Swaro seem like a toy. How does the sunlight effect it's reading capabilities? If the sun was behind cloud cover I was getting readings out to 1990 yards on some cedar trees, but as soon as the sun reared it's head I was having trouble past 1400.

If the weather up there is as bad as it is at home then I'm not surprised the hunting isn't that great. I got lucky and got a decent buck yesterday. His rack was kinda deceiving. But at over 1400 yards they all are!:D I will send you an email with some pics.

Sounds like a good unit. Maybe one day I'll have the cash for one. Hang in there the weather is going to cool off. I'm up in Northeast MO hunting as well. We got two yearlings last night. Gonna be good eating. Now it is time to hold out for something bigger. gun)

Bravo 4, Sounds like a great shot. At 1400 yards who cares how big he is! Sunlight does not seem to bother them. I have not tried them all the way out to the rated 3000 meters yet, by I have the feeling they will do it.

Rinodods, yep, the weather is about to get good up here. Problem is, my wife just called and the water is off at our house (we have a well) so I guess I will have to head home tomorrow. This weather coming in should have them moving this evening so there is still hope!

Are the PLRFs expensive and overkill for the casual long range hunter...yes they are. But, if you are serious about this stuff, it is one hell of a great tool. I got the plrf 15c. I have not found anything I could not get a range on. I am sure I will find something too far to range when I get to NM in a couple weeks, but nothing here yet. I have yet to see a rangefinder that will do some of the things the plrf seemingly does with ease. I just wish they had bluetooth like some of the vectors have. It would be nice to have the rangefinder instantly update the info in the ballistics computer without being tethered by a cable, like the kestral will.

Eddybo, Yeah a Bluetooth interface would be nice. This is my first trip out with my Kestrel 450 with Bluetooth. It is great to be able to load all the environmental data wireless.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts