Please identify the cam in this pic

Brown Dog

Pic extract from another post; this cam looks just about what I would design (ie I think it looks just about perfect!!) who makes it?
dadandnerf.jpg

What's the science behind camo?

In the pic why doesn't the camo look/blend into any kind of background that I know of.

I looked at a custom camo site with M1 rifles w/camo paint jobs photo'd in an environmental setting some were shown with camo material similar to the rifle camo as the background. These are the only ones that didn't stick out like sore thumbs?

Santa brougt me an air brush and I'm going off the deep end. Always dreamed of a zebra strip (dark and light) so I did one. Took it out in the snow and I think I may as well have been waving a red flag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any input would be appreciated.

Think I'll go down the hall and have a visit with my SOG friend. It ought to have some experience. He survived several tours up front in Viet....

Thanks

The camo is Predator. There have been many tests done on the effectiveness of different camos "in the field", NOT on the rack. It has been found that the larger patterns do not "go black" at distances like most of the "designer' patterns do. I have seen actual photos of this pattern standing in front of, not behind various backgrounds, and it was the best at blending in to the background. almost any camo will work effectively in brush or timber, BUT when in the open you are just a black dot at distances. Notice that most ads for camo don't show the patterns in the more open areas, because it would stick out like a sore thumb. The newer effective camo's all have larger patterns with more contrast built in. Do some searching for camo pattern tests on the internet and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I did some work for the fellow who developed Predator, he had a great product. Believe it is still available, someone else has it now. Another nice open and very practical pattern is Cabela's Outfitter, I have been using it on many hunts and a wide variety of backgrounds. The material they use is fantastic, silent, wind-resistant and warm.

Camo design has gone nuts, I just don't see the need for seven or eight colors and the veins on every leaf, but it sells like crazy in the sporting goods store. About right up there for logic with camo stocks on stainless steel barreled actions or camo'd chain-saws!

Range at which the pattern is observed is important. Longer ranges need bigger patterns to avoid the black blob syndrome. Larger objects need bigger patterns. Foreground, background. Is the animal color blind?

How do you hide an elephant in a strawberry patch (or cherry tree)? -Paint its toenails red.

Show this to your SOG friend.

340403.JPG

Take a paper towel with you to wipe off the slobber. Imagine it in an A-5 with a Nesika action, lilja barrel 7AM chamber and Nightforce scope

As several of you have pointed out, most cams seem to black/blob-out at distance. I wholly agree that the complex designs are a waste of time.

First really woke up to this several years ago when running a course that had one or 2 Arab students on it amongst the Brits...at several hundred metres on rolling grassland the Brits (in temperate DPM (similar to US woodland))stood out like sore-thumbs; whereas the Arabs (in the old-style US Choc chip desert....supposedly the "wrong" camouflage for the terrain) were far harder to spot. (the new US ACU cam looks to be a step in the right direction on this)....enough about that!

All,
Thanks for the ID on the Predator cam....as a result I was able to find their website: http://www.predatorcamo.com/store_main.html

...really looks like cam that won't black-out. Trousers look good, but...as seems to be the case on most civ design hunting jackets...the pockets look to be crap...enough space for a couple of hankies!

I'll even hijack my own thread here: I seem to be a voice of one on this, but I reckon hunting jacket pockets should look something like this (you can also see in this pic how Brit DPM is too dark....often thought the dark brown should be taken out of this pattern......lift the excessive dark brown off this and you would virtually have predator spring green !)

:
PA180017pockets.jpg

I guess that my 'jacket pockets weirdness' means I'll be sticking with this too-dark (but free!) stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.