Please help with twist on a .300wsm

JayR

I am getting ready to order a barrel for a .300wsm build and am not sure on the twist. I will be shooting 150-168 gr, gonna try and hope the barnes shoot well. It will be kind of a do all whitetail gun, shooting close to 500 yards max. Thinking of about a #3 about 24". From what I have read, it looks like the twist should be 12-14, really around 14, but it looks like alot people are shooting 10. Any input or suggestions on any of this would be appreciated. Thank you

Well I am not to sure about what is the best twist rate or how to figure it out.
I do know I have a savage 16 in 300 WSM with I believe to be a 1 in 10 twist
It is one of the most accurate guns I have. Based on barrel contour, gun weight, opitcs ect I have placed a limit of 700 yards for game on this gun but have made shots further on varmits and steel.
I shoot the 180 gr Accubond with H4350
Retiredcpo

When I rebarrelled my 300wsm I went with a 1 in 10 twist and the reason is I wanted to shoot bullets in the 180 to 200 gr range, also I picked that weight area because if I want to stretch the range later on down the road I should have no problem. If you go with a slow twist you most likely will have issues if you decide to shoot heavier bullets.

If I were you i'd get a little heavier contour and use an 11 twist, I have seen 208 a-maxs and 210 bergers shoot .4-.6 moa at 1k in a 28" 11 twist, its not to fast for the light bullets but hunting bullet wise it will work all the way up to 200 accubonds or 210 vlds. Honestly anything faster than a 13 twist with 150 grainers is gonna give you way to much rpm with that much power, but and the ranges you mentioned a 10 twist will be fine as well.

I agree totally with backwoods on this one. Mine was built with a 26 in 12 twist for the 168's thinking it would be a 600 yard rifle. Well it didn't take long to make little bitty 600 yard groups and now I wish it was twisted up faster for the bigger pills. I'm now shooting 180's and still trying to get a load for the 208's. Go with an 11 twist and at least a 26 in tube. I'm wishing I had gone with a 28.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.