Please help me figure this STW out

I'm thinking like RT2506. Try once fired brass and bumping it might be a good idea. Or even some different brass like Nosler 7 STW. They sell Nosler brass at Sportsmans Warehouse. Could call, see if they have any and pick it up if your in the Portland area.

Also, what is the rifle's weight? Could it be jumping on the bags at all? Is a strap on cheek rest being used? If so it might not have a consistent slide on the rear bag. That can cause vertical flyers.

Good luck. I got a tag for the Steens a few years ago. What unit did you draw?

I'm thinking like RT2506. Try once fired brass and bumping it might be a good idea. Or even some different brass like Nosler 7 STW. They sell Nosler brass at Sportsmans Warehouse. Could call, see if they have any and pick it up if your in the Portland area.

Also, what is the rifle's weight? Could it be jumping on the bags at all? Is a strap on cheek rest being used? If so it might not have a consistent slide on the rear bag. That can cause vertical flyers.

Good luck. I got a tag for the Steens a few years ago. What unit did you draw?

I'll check on different brass. I'm not using a cheek rest. Gun weighs around 10lbs.
I drew West Beatys Butte, I leave a week from today.

I'm done with this thing for a while. Checked everything I know how with same results. Gonna use my ultra mag for the antelope hunt, and try again when I'm not so frustrated and short on time. Thanks for everyone's input

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 60
I'm done with this thing for a while. Checked everything I know how with same results. Gonna use my ultra mag for the antelope hunt, and try again when I'm not so frustrated and short on time. Thanks for everyone's input
Remember JE Custom. If he is booked with other work you might try Elk Meadows Performance. Steve Pratt is the owner and really knows how to build and tune the long range rifles. He blows no smoke up you *****. Located in the Salt Lake,, Utah, area. Sponsor here on this site.

Remember JE Custom. If he is booked with other work you might try Elk Meadows Performance. Steve Pratt is the owner and really knows how to build and tune the long range rifles. He blows no smoke up you *****. Located in the Salt Lake,, Utah, area. Sponsor here on this site.

At this point it's something I may very well consider. Thanks

I had the same problem as you with a 300 WSM. Had a barrel made by Dan Pedersen put on a blueprinted Winchester M70 action. It would always throw one out no matter what powder or bullet combo I used. I sent it back and he bedded the action. I spent more money on bullets and powder and it still through a round. I was beyond frustrated.

I finally sold it to a guy who didn't shoot long range and didn't care if it shot a 3 shot 2" group at 100 yards as he was only shooting out to 300 yards. He got a really good deal on a custom gun that day haha!

I had a custom 338 LM with a Stiller TAC338 action built and have never looked back! I will tell you one thing, I was dang nervous firing the 338 LM for the first time after spending all the money on it and the 300 WSM that I sold. My heart was really pumping hard on the third shot when I was firing for groups. Thankfully it is an awesome shooting rifle and put my worries to ease.

You are not alone as many have had a bad rifle made. At some point you have to decide when to hold and when to fold before you lose too much money into a boat anchor.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.