Please Help a US Veteran Avoid Being Homeless

Just a heads up for all the folks here:

Ten percent of all U.S. homeless are combat vets. A disproportionate number to say the least. Close to 50% of families headed by a combat vet, are getting food stamps or other welfare. I might also add that families headed by E-5 and below members still in the service of our country are on food stamps.

We Should Be Ashamed Of Ourselves!
gary

I'm not going to lie on this one. After I got out my wife and I were very close to being able to claim wic for my wife and child. We were only a thousand or so off from the cut off per year. It has been tough to get to where we are now and most of that was through sheer luck, hard work, and determination. Many evenings were spent hitting books (full time), helping raise a second newborn, and working about 60 hrs a week. Now I look back and say how in the heck did I do it. To make this short, to make it in this world vet or not you need to put all the chips on the table. I'm sure many off you on here have done the same.

+1 to all of the posts above!, 23years in the military/ three combat tours ( nope not a DFAC worker) and I'm still navigating!

Can I ask the vet's a question on the write up from this vet???? 18 months, why is he not eligible for VA assistance? second is his MOS 13B ( Artillery crewmember) and then he is a tank driver in Germany? Supply driver? why does he "white out" his discharge code on the DD214?

Does something not feel right about that? I volunteer and walk the nights in Milwaukee looking and begging Homeless Vets to follow me too safe keepings but something about that write up doesn't set well? I've been there for 30+ combat vets in there darkest moments...Help me see the light on this vet so I can make a donation!

Thanks for your service!
Harvman

Hey Harvman, what are you doing to try to help these vets? Just out of curiosity sake. Do most of them accept your help? We've got homeless here in Michigan where I live, not sure if any are vets though.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Brian,
Thanks for your question. You are right about Vets not accepting help... Its programed into us at training but I also think that we have those characteristics before entry and is why we join and serve our country... for a bigger cause! Read any citation for an award or those writeups fort hose Medal of Honor recipients... people willing to give there lives for those around them and they think nothing about it...unfortunately some do give there life.

Understand that I am not out looking for the homeless as much as I would like. I have a VA hospital here in Milwaukee that has contacts and services for vets. Talk to your County Veterans Service officer (CVSO) they will know the services and the benefits that the areas have for veterans. Talk to the Police Departments and go for a ride along to the areas of homeless to understand the different "packs" of homeless...aka who are violent etc.

Just like huting you find an area research it...map it... and scout it. Just as in hunting don't have expectations of rustling up a group of vets and marching off to the middle class. You don't just pick an area in Wyoming and go shoot a 400 class bull elk...unless you are very lucky! Those homeless vets have seen the best of the best talkers and you will have to earn their respect...listen then listen, then listen some more. Be there with no expectations but willing to move them if they want it. Don't make a mistake that I did when I was 6 or 7... My family went to visit family in Chicago. we went out to eat and I had a Cheeseburger that I hardly ate. We walked out of the restraunt with my to go box and a homeless person was right there saying they were hungry. I gave my left over burger and we walked to where our cars were parked.. my parents and relatives yakked and said goodbyes and when we finally left and drve by the group of homeless and I was blown away. The homeless around the one I gave the burger to were fighting him and each other for that burger!

Joel is completely right about this administration! I remember when the commander and chief was asking why the government pays for hospital needs of injured veterans from Iraq and Afganistan...then no boots on the ground... to now he has proposed increases in post presidency benefits... unbelievable!

my $0.02

Thanks for the advice. One thing I've learned is nobody can be helped until they want to be helped. When they want it and are truly ready in their heart, it'll come. Sometimes in a wave they didn't expect. :)

I admire your compassion. Have a blessed evening.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.