Please advise on re-barreling

FEENIX

PC270029.jpg

SAKO M995, .300WM, 4.5-14x40 B&C, Harris S bipod (9"-27"?)

I bought it used a couple of years ago and considering re-barreling it. Last year's sight in grouped <2" @ 300 yards with 180g factory load Corelokts despite 25 MPH winds. My longest shot was just tad over 400 yards. I know I have to pay my dues to be a successful LRH but I want to have a modest start. My comfort range is within 200 yards and would like to be comfortable with 400 yards then to 600 yards with this set-up. Will also venture into reloading this year, thus could probably better the accuracy with the right load combinations.

Anyways, here's my newbie and budget (need approximate cost) conscious questions ...

- Barrel (Lilja, etc...)
- Groove
- Length
- Contour
- and any other accurizing work that you would recommend

Rifle weight is not an issue and it will be used primarily on antelope, deer, and elk in the wide open prairies of the big sky country. I have other rifles to match other type of hunting environments.

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

V/R

Ed

Your post is not real clear, but it looks like a couple things can be assumed.

1. You are not reloading yet.

2. The gun is shooting good still (2"@ 300)

I would not touch it at this point!

Start reloading and shoot it as is until the barrel goes (Win mag 1400 rds is realistic expection)

Then buy a barrel. Forget groove diameter etc at this point.

Decide on caliber and bullet first and that will drive the twist.

Most guys use a 1-10 to 1-12 with 30 cals up to 210 grain. If going heavier go to the 1-10 twist.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.