Platform for .204?

WunderDog

I have decided it is time for a .204. I have a heavy single-shot Swift and a .17 HMR and I need something in the middle. The Swift is heavy and loud and the 17 just doesn't quite get there for coyotes or longer ranges on fox. It seems like the .204 answers the call though. I am looking for a lighter rifle that will be very accurate. I like everything about the Savage Predator hunter but the stock. Savage stocks are abysmally bad plastic pieces of crap. I do want a good synthetic stock though as this will be a working rifle particularly for calling in the winter. Is there a good aftermarket option for a stock and I should just go with the Savage or is there something I am not considering but should be? I am certainly willing to spend more than the Savage if I get the right solution. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ryan

Howa

I just bought a Howa 1500 w/ hogue stock and Nikko Sterling 4-16x44 w/dot. Love the gun love the accuracy. Working on loads now have not taken it to the field yet will let you know. Only paid 499 for package great deal. This gun has factory contour barrel 22 inch.gun)

I suppose it would help if I were a little more specific about my wishes for this gun:

ACCURATE!!

Very good trigger

Decent stock

Not too heavy

I have a Savage Model 12 VLP and it is deadly accurate although it may be a little heavier than you want..

It once put 3 holes under 0.4 inches @ 322 yards.

A couple of good options. 527CZ I know you said synthetic (They have a synthetic in the heavier barreled units) The set triggers on these is sweet and the accuracy is good enough to wack prairie dogs out to 500 yards with relative ease.
Glensdogs%20099.jpg

Savage/Stevens offers a few good options. This unit started out as a plain jane Stevens 200 but with a little work to the stock it too is good to 500 yards with ammo it likes.
Glensdogs%20040.jpg

I`ve got a CZ 527 with the pincle barrel and it`s a real tack driver with the 32 gn. Sierra`s, but the 32 gn. Sierra`s are to thin skinned for coyote. I don`t think they would shoot through a fox. My CZ shoots the 39 Sierra`s pretty good, but after the luck I had with the 32`s and Sierra told me the jackets were the same I quit shooting at coyotes with it. I hear the 35 Berger match bullets are the way to go. I personally have alot more faith in my .17 Rem. for coyotes than I do my .204.

204 solution

Here is how I built a very accurate 204 bolt gun. I bought a new SS Savage action from Jim Briggs, a recoil lug from Sharp Shooter Supply, then a medium heavy SS barrel from Lothar Walter, a Dura Maxx stock, put a new Nikon 4.5 x 14 Monarch scope on it in Warne rings and bases. Loaded some loads with CMR100 powder and it shoots well under a dime at 100 yards with several different bullets.

CZ-08.jpg

Another vote for the CZ 527. Mine shoots the 40 gr Hornady A-Max pretty well. The CZ is a light, rugged little mini-mauser that does a fine job. I think the photo shows it with a 4.5-14 Leupold borrowed from another hunting rifle, but now I've got a simple 4-12x Leupold on it. Sweet, easy packing combo. No synthetic stock here, maple on this one.

BTW - the Rem 700 in .204 is a pretty sweet shooter too, and avail in a synthetic stock...

Regards, Guy

A couple of good options. 527CZ I know you said synthetic (They have a synthetic in the heavier barreled units) The set triggers on these is sweet and the accuracy is good enough to wack prairie dogs out to 500 yards with relative ease.
Glensdogs%20099.jpg

Savage/Stevens offers a few good options. This unit started out as a plain jane Stevens 200 but with a little work to the stock it too is good to 500 yards with ammo it likes.
Glensdogs%20040.jpg
Plus one ☝️ on the CZ 527. The set trigger is the deal. Mine is 18 yrs old or so and still stacks em in tight. Nice little gun for the money.

I have a Savage Model 12 VLP and it is deadly accurate although it may be a little heavier than you want..

It once put 3 holes under 0.4 inches @ 322 yards.
Excellent sir, however that is, was a once in a lifetime phenomenon, inmo but nice shooting you've got a good one.