Plastic stock question

hammer111

I just put a camo plastic stock on my 1100, not realizing it is way lighter than wood.

It kits way too much. Can I fill the stock with something that will give back the weight of the wood stock.

Trouble with adding weight to a stock is to increase its weight without disturbing its balance. There are all kinds of synthetic stocks. Is yours actually "plastic" or some other composite material? Who manufactured it and what model is it?

It's made by Remington.
Remington 1100/1187 Stock and Forend 12/16 Gauge Mossy Oak Camouflage 18609.

I don't know about upsetting balance. The plastic and wood cardstock are virtually the same weight.

The plastic stock is hollow and feels hollow . Allowing 100 % of the recoil to be felt in my arthritic shoulder.

Adding weight should help me. Either that or I buy another wood stock and dip it.

You can either buy a recoil reducer to fit in the stock or make one to fit and fill it with lead shot. I've done it both ways. It will add weight and reduce the recoil.

The below link shows several styles of recoil reducers. I am a competitive trap shooter and Bird hunter and I have used just about every variety out there.

They all add weight and reduce recoil. The least expensive and easiest to try is to find a piece of tubing that will fit in your stock bolt recess . Cut it to length , fill it with lead shot , either duct tape or epoxy the ends to secure the shot, and place it in the stock. I have used thin wall PVC and copper tubing. I place a piece of material between the tubing and the stock bolt to protect the bolt. I've even used the mercury style in a .300 stock to help my torn up shoulder

There are several companies who make commercial reducers. Stock Positioning Systems, Graco, Bumpbuster, Jack West Pro Combo, C&H etc...

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-reducers/index.htm

I think you'll be happy with any of them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Great link thanks nofences. I think I need the Edwards max for a hollow synthetic stock.

I don't know if I need to fill the stock or would it work without filling it with foam to hold it in place.

I think the bolt should hold it in place right.

Check the 12ga FH thread where we show filling the hollow butt

of synthetic stocks with rubber coated computer balls. Its quiet and

the right weight where lead shot would be too heavy.Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.